Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am wondering about the front springs on my Edge. They have the coils loosely wound at the top and then half way down, the coils are pressed together (Tightly wound) when it's on the sled. It creates quite the sag in the front end. Most Edge sleds I've seen are like this.

Please tell me what these are supposed to do when half the spring is fully compressed. If you have an Edge, you know what I'm talking about.

Maybe I'm not understanding the spring theory properly. I'd like to be educated. Might as well cut the bottom half the spring off since it's not doing anything. I put some straight rate springs on there just for an experiment. I think from an X10, gave a ton better ride height and rebound.

Are the springs just worn out?

Please fill me in.

D

·
Registered
9,987 Posts
Those are known as "variable rate" springs..

The closer coils compress first with softer pressure, and after they are compressed, the wider coils compress with higher pressure.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So if the closer coils are compressed when the sled it sitting still, the springs are shot then? It has 3000 miles on it. I suppose that enough to wear them out.
D

·
Registered
378 Posts
No I have over 12,000 miles on my springs and I was having a problem with a soft sled. I put on all new shocks and it rode like a new sled. Spring really don't go bad they just break. So get your shocks rebuilt or get new ones and that will fix your issue.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Dman said:
So if the closer coils are compressed when the sled it sitting still, the springs are shot then? It has 3000 miles on it. I suppose that enough to wear them out.
D
The wide part is softer and the closer parts is stiff so you don't bottom out.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Shocks have been rebuilt with 0 miles. With the M10 in the rear, it puts a little more pressure on the front end I think too.
D

·
Registered
9,987 Posts
Did you have the shocks rebuilt, or died the former owner tell you that when he sold you the sled?

·
Registered
9,987 Posts
Sweet.... Want to rebuild some for me? lol

Ok, assuming that they're rebuilt correctly, does the sled sit at the proper height, or does it seem saggy? Is the preload set to the factory settings? (plus a few turns for having 3k+ miles on it)

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
Dman said:
So if the closer coils are compressed when the sled it sitting still, the springs are shot then?
No. The spring has to be able to drop into holes, so that part that is compressed when sitting still is actually doing something when you are riding.

I don't think you'll be happy with straight-rate springs on the EDGE. The early EDGEs had 68/160 lb/in springs, which are the ones that you see all compressed up at the bottom. The later EDGEs had 90/180 springs. They are usally seen with some space between the soft coils. If you think your springs are too soft, then maybe try the 90/180s. But, interestingly, when experimenting a lot, most people find the EDGE handles best with minimal spring pressure on the front. Too much pre-load, and the inside ski wants to lift excessively. If you are concerned about "looks", don't look at the compressed spring. If you are actually trying to solve a handling issue you've experienced, post that up.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you for the explaination. Excellent post. I thought it had something along the same lines but it just looks like the front is a bit saggy with the Edge springs. Maybe thats why a lot of the Edge sleds look like they do.

I've not even ridden the sled yet. Just doing some summer inspections. I'll throw the other springs back on and see if I like them.
D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts