Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
if i change my wedge tank/seat set up to a edge tank and seat set up do i need to change my oil bottle and coolant bottle. and do i also need to fab up anything to make it fit on the tunnel? any and all help would be great thanx john

· Registered
3,504 Posts
a few members have done this, maybe they will chime in. Im tring to think who... (the way out 440) i think he did...? and maybe, Xx08BRAAAPPP22xX

· Registered
3,214 Posts
the one I did was on a 1998 Xc 700 chassis. You will have to buy or fab a tank hold down strap or bracket. It will mount to the tunnel under the seat. Be careful you do not drill into the tunnel cooler strips...been there done that. After I was all done I didn't like it, and went back to the one piece seat/tank.

I don't remember the tank hitting a bottle...If it did I would have cut the lug and rewelded it back on so the tank would clear....piece of cake

· Registered
511 Posts
I put an edge tank and seat on a 97 XLT. I had to change the oil bottle because the stock one stuck back back too far, but the coolant bottle wasn't a problem. Since there are no tunnel coolers on an XLT, I didn't have to do any modifications, just drilled two holes in the top of the tunnel for the tank, and two for the seat.

· Registered
2,945 Posts
I looked at the cooling parts and everything for your sled. I got a 99 xc 500 I did this with. A lot of the sled is the same. Should fit right in. When you take the seat off there is a metal tab that holds the front of the original gas tank down. It's attached to the steering where it meets the chassis tube. Take this off and put it in a clamp. Bend it so it just touched the top of the edge gas tank. When its bolted in it will hold the tank against this and it wont move. There shouldnt be any modifications besides that and drilling out holes in the tunnel. The edge gas tank bolts down to the edge of the tunnel so it should clear the coolers. You can buy a edge console for a better fit to the gas tank. I didn't I just put the old one back on and zip tied the bottom down lol what ever works for you.

You can make a seat wedge for your edge seat too. You can look at my pics if you wanna see how it looks.

· Registered
511 Posts
vogey said:
my little brother put a edge seat on his 91 indy 500 only thing i remember is he had to put a piece of plywood under the back cause the edges have a tipped up tunnel in the back
What year edge seat are you referring to? I'm pretty sure the "tipped up tunnel" you're referring to tips up behind the seat and doesn't affect the mounting of the seat. The edge seat I put on an XLT was clearly designed to mount on a flat surface. It mounted perfectly flush to the top of the XLT tunnel, and would not have mounted correctly if I had tried to lift it in the back.

If you look at the side of an edge seat, it looks like it lifts in the back, but in reality it's just flaps on the sides that drop below the top of the tunnel.

· Registered
127 Posts
not sure what year it came off, just remember that being the only thing he had to do, it was a blue seat just like that too, weird could have sworn the edge tunnel tipped up right under the trunk area, been wrong before though nothing new lol, tryin to remember if it was a edge x this was 5-6 years ago at least

· Registered
2,324 Posts
The Edge tunnel and seat do tip up at the back. If you put the Edge seat on a flat tunnel, the plastic body of the seat will bend down when you bolt it on and then it will match previous years' tunnels.

· Registered
511 Posts
Rubi said:
The Edge tunnel and seat do tip up at the back. If you put the Edge seat on a flat tunnel, the plastic body of the seat will bend down when you bolt it on and then it will match previous years' tunnels.
What year/model edge seat did you use?

That is not the case with the edge seat pictured above. As I said, that particular seat was clearly designed to be mounted to a flat tunnel (at least flat where the seat is mounted). It mounted up perfectly with the edge tank, and sat flush on the tunnel before bolting it down. It did not "bend down" when I bolted it to the tunnel. The plastic part of the bottom of the seat was flat, and there was no reason to even consider putting a piece of plywood (or anything else) under the back of it.

That's why I asked what year seat your experience was with. I'm wondering if there's more than one type of seat pan (the plastic part that mounts to the tunnel) for edge seats.

· Registered
2,945 Posts
old_school said:
vogey said:
my little brother put a edge seat on his 91 indy 500 only thing i remember is he had to put a piece of plywood under the back cause the edges have a tipped up tunnel in the back
What year edge seat are you referring to? I'm pretty sure the "tipped up tunnel" you're referring to tips up behind the seat and doesn't affect the mounting of the seat. The edge seat I put on an XLT was clearly designed to mount on a flat surface. It mounted perfectly flush to the top of the XLT tunnel, and would not have mounted correctly if I had tried to lift it in the back.

If you look at the side of an edge seat, it looks like it lifts in the back, but in reality it's just flaps on the sides that drop below the top of the tunnel.

Edge seats do tip up. That seat I'm guessing if the plasiltic is flat then its from a gen 2 sp or something. In 2000 Some had the edge style seat before an edge was made for production. So it was made flat for the flat tunnels.

And you can just bolt it down the plastic will bend. But if you wasn't a slight rise in the seat make a seat wedge.

· Registered
511 Posts
MuscleD said:
Edge seats do tip up. That seat I'm guessing if the plasiltic is flat then its from a gen 2 sp or something. In 2000 Some had the edge style seat before an edge was made for production. So it was made flat for the flat tunnels.

And you can just bolt it down the plastic will bend. But if you wasn't a slight rise in the seat make a seat wedge.
Hmm, that seat was supposed to have been from a 2003 edge (ebay auction). So you figure it isn't later than a 2000?

· Registered
3,334 Posts
Auto part Engine Vehicle Automotive exterior Car

Auto part Engine Vehicle Car Automotive exterior

add those two pieces of angle iron and make to 2inch long brackets for the oil and coolant bottle mounts undo the top bolts in both bottles lean the bottles forward and install the brackets and your good to go and make sure you grind the edges of the angle iron smooth so they dont rub into the tank any other questions pm me

the edge seat do tip up however the plastic frame bends down and sits flush

Attachments

· Registered
2,945 Posts
old_school said:
MuscleD said:

Hmm, that seat was supposed to have been from a 2003 edge (ebay auction). So you figure it isn't later than a 2000?
I doubt it but he could have put a flat plastic on the bottom. Idk why. It could be from 03 but all edge have the tiped up tunnel. The guy could have mixed the seat up with another seat. Looks like a nice seat tho!

· Registered
2,324 Posts
My 2001 GenII RMK had the Edge style tank, and a flat seat. I put the seat from my 2000 XCSP Edge on the Gen II, and it was very apparent that the Edge seat was tipped up in the back even though it fit the tank just fine.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.