Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All,

I have a 01 pro X 600 with a new 136" track extention with the ryde FX shocks.
I currently have the springs set to the heavest setting on the block but I lose 1/2 or more of my travel with not much pressure being applied to the suspention. I can literally push down and compress the rear suspention with one hand and almost bottom out.

WHY...... I think I need to replace the springs.. that would be my first guess. I had the shocks re charged with N2 this summer so I dont think that is the problem.. any help???

Thanks!

·
Registered
506 Posts
just adding gas to shocks is completely pointless but that is not your trouble anyway. The torsion springs are likely gone and can be verified by measuring the opening angle.

·
Registered
197 Posts
By chance is the front and/or rear of the sled on dolly wheels??? Or is the sled flat on the ground when you are pushing on the rear suspension having it bottom out????

·
Registered
126 Posts
I am sure it is the torsion springs if you have had the shocks charged and they are holding a steady pressure. If you get some springs and want another hand removing your skid again let me know.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Maybe the shocks lost all the gas over the summer...did you check them for any leaks? Just a thought...your springs should not be shot unless you beat the livin' %[email protected]$% out of them.

·
Registered
700 Posts
Originally posted by RED_XCR_440
[br]Maybe the shocks lost all the gas over the summer...did you check them for any leaks? Just a thought...your springs should not be shot unless you beat the livin' %[email protected]$% out of them.
Agreed. If you had to have Gas put in your shocks then some leaked out and they needed to be rebuilt. What is your RRSS set at for weight transfer. If you have moved the blocks to the optioinal holes then it alows the suspension to sag more before loading the torsion springs causing your condition. Did you move them? If not check the shocks. If your shure they are good then i guess try new springs.

·
Registered
506 Posts
springs hold the sled up not the shocks. Other wise how would a sled wiuth indy selct shocks stay off the ground???

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have a set of springs on order, I am convinced that is the problem... Initally I did have the sled on dollies, I set it on flat ground and came up with the same problem only not as severe.
I am going to put the new springs on, and then if the problem is not solved I will look at the shocks. $150.00 for both springs medium tention... should do the trick.
Josh, I do have to pull the skid again.. but that should be a quick 20 min job... i'll give you a call.

BOOM

Originally posted by aksnowman
[br]I am sure it is the torsion springs if you have had the shocks charged and they are holding a steady pressure. If you get some springs and want another hand removing your skid again let me know.

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
The shocks have nothing to do with holding the sled up. All shocks do is dampen movement. Most likely the torsion springs are starting to sack out.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Ya sounds like a spring problem, but charging shox wouldnt hurt

·
Registered
700 Posts
Originally posted by Octane
[br]The shocks have nothing to do with holding the sled up. All shocks do is dampen movement. Most likely the torsion springs are starting to sack out.
Disagree but yes the springs obviously do the most. I hate to think how many torsion springs have been sold to all the xtra 12 owners with sag thinking that will fix it. Odds are in this case its the torsions but suspensions can be weird.
Good luck[:D]

·
Registered
15,722 Posts
There is some amount of sag in a machine. Shocks don't hold much up. There is alittle pressue on them out but not much. Look at the oil shock on a Indy 500. You can push them in and they don't come out.

·
Registered
506 Posts
the most a shock with 1/2 inch diameter holds is 40 pounds. With the mechanical advantage working against the shocks it is less than 10 pounds. Make sure your spring rollers don't have flat spots that will also contribute to the issue. When you get the new springs compare the opening angle of the new and old springs and you will see how sacked they are. If you can post a picture on here of the springs it will help the guys on here realize what is really happening to the springs. Stock the springs have a 77 degree opening angle. You will probably find more like a 90 degree opening angle. You can also move the rollers back 1 hole to reduce sag as the springs start to sack out. Also, No need to pull the skid. Just drop the rear arm and pull the TSLs. Changing the springs should take less than 30 minutes.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I agree with you 100 %... springs are shot, close to 4,000 miles on them and I am sure they are OE.
I know the new springs are going to solve my problem. And good call on the skid.... that should save me some time in the swap. I cant have the sled down for to long, we are expecting snow all week up here so I hate having the sled down for to long incase a opportunity arises to go riding.. LOL

I will post up some pictures with the two on the bench so everyone can see the comparison.

Thanks again

Jamie
Originally posted by jbshocks
[br]the most a shock with 1/2 inch diameter holds is 40 pounds. With the mechanical advantage working against the shocks it is less than 10 pounds. Make sure your spring rollers don't have flat spots that will also contribute to the issue. When you get the new springs compare the opening angle of the new and old springs and you will see how sacked they are. If you can post a picture on here of the springs it will help the guys on here realize what is really happening to the springs. Stock the springs have a 77 degree opening angle. You will probably find more like a 90 degree opening angle. You can also move the rollers back 1 hole to reduce sag as the springs start to sack out. Also, No need to pull the skid. Just drop the rear arm and pull the TSLs. Changing the springs should take less than 30 minutes.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts