Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Getting ready for an edge swap in a GenII.
All the plates are out,Figured instead of just moving the plate I'd make some to hide the old holes and the new ones. Also if I want to drop it later I can.[attachment=49418]
Plate Off, new target hole.
[attachment=49419][attachment=49421]
[attachment=49422][attachment=49423]
Still need to reinforce the lower piece and then shape it.

Attachments

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
edge rear in the ol' xcr?!!!!!! NICE!!!

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Can't wait to see it done...
Once the skid is fitted once,I'll tear it down, think I'll paint up the rails.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
For some reason the rear mounts off a GEN 11 sks is what you want to use.

Lots of info here if you havent allready found it.

http://www.hardcoresledder.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=69332

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yeah thanks, I did see that link. The issue is the old hole would be exposed, and wanted a clean finish. This plate will cover those and the new one's I need to make. Hope to finish them later next week.

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Fianlly got some time to work on it again. These are off to the powdercoaters tommorrow. Rail extentiosn are still on the way.
[attachment=52225]
[attachment=52226]
[attachment=52227]
[attachment=52228]

Attachments

·
Registered
317 Posts
Lookin' nice can't wait to see it in the sled!!!

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well getting closer now, all four plates are in and did a mock fit as a 121 last night. Definitly picks up the reare end and looks nasty.
Talked with Tracks Canada yesterday, extentions will be here in a bout a week. Edge skid now totally apart for inpection and coating.
Still no damn snow, so not like I'm rushing.
Desided not to powdercoat the plates, they are stainless, so hit it with a bit of paint.The dry fit marked that up already, not too worried.
On the front plates, I removed the footwell rivets and tied them in as well. I still need to add a few more rivets around the front hole but otherwise done.
[attachment=54016][attachment=54017]
[attachment=54018][attachment=54019]
[attachment=54020]
Not great pics with a camera phone but you get the idea.
Won't be long now.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Nice. Im doing the same swap.

It took longer to drill out the rivets than anything. For the backs I just used the same brackets and moved it forward. I mushroomed over the original rivits and they seem like they will stay in place. If not thats an easy cosmetic fix.

for the fronts I made up a couple plates, they needed to be smaller because of the footwell and the other stuff crammed up there.

Here are the pics where I moved it in back. I didnt go rivit route I went allen head bolt, when all said and done and everything is right I will replace them with stainless, which my local store has. But didnt want to spend the extra bucks if there was an issue.

on the first pic you can see a mistake I made. I mounted the old plate then realized the new hole will be right in the middle of one of the rolled bead ....uggh. Rookie mistake.

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thought about using the orginal brackets, Mine has the extra coolers under the footwells which made it a problem. Look forward to tring it out.

·
Registered
443 Posts
question for you, what gauge metal are the brackets on these polaris sleds? I may make bigger ones for the front brackets to mount in the same position and cover originazl holes.

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well finally finihsed. The extentions were really late, so I skipped powercoat for now.
Had it out for a little ride, man I think I will like this.
Sits the sled off nicely and definily picks up the rear now.
Took these on the camera phone, should be able to take some better one's this weekend. I like it!
[attachment=57375]
[attachment=57367]

Attachments

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
Looks good! What did you use for rivets? Just curious cause I am in the middle of a xtra-10 swap into an older wedge and trying to decide what rivets to use?

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I used stainless cherry max, they are a locking rivot and a bitch to pull. I used 1.4 and 3/16's. . Spaenaur or a tractor trailer repair shop should work .
The western guys use hauck Mana locks.
Use a steel and not alumium, the shear stenght is higher. I picked up a hammer and bucking bar, I will experiment for the stock style next time.

Eddy, I brought inmy brackets to the metal supermarket and used thier gauge. I can't recall what the thickness was.
I have enough in plain steel if you want them. I ended up using stainless.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts