Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The carb on my 74 Elan isn't pulling fuel properly. I replaced all of the carb gaskets and when I go to start her up, it will not draw enough fuel to start it. What I found works is giving it a shot of starting spray and it fires first pull every time. Without the spray it won't start. Question: Will starting spray damage anything, and if so, over what time frame? Thanks!

·
Registered
243 Posts
I think you need to clean the carb. It sounds like maybe a partially plugged pilot jet to me. The ether shouldn't hurt as long as you aren't overdoing it. A lot of it can cause increased compression and problems though.

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
I know some of these old sleds need a little help.
When I had a pair of Olympics around I always used WD-40 intead of either,
it lubes the cylinder(s) as well as giving the boost of alcohol that you need.
A primer kit really helps this on those old Doo's, definitley put one in.
Oh...and did you replace the fuel filter when you rebuilt the carb?

·
Registered
287 Posts
I gotta agree with razor. Make triple-sure the carb and its jets are squeeky clean. I'd also check the fuel pump and pulse line going to it for leaks. Might want to check the fuel filter while you're at it...

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
Yeah AC's right, check all fuel lines for air leaks, not just at the connections either, there could be a wear spot forming somewhere out of sight.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks! I have changed the fuel lines, filter, diaphragm, gaskets, and so forth. Everything works great after it starts. When it's warm it fires instantly (no starting spray). What kind of primer kit are you talking about? Just a simple bulb in the line?

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
It's like a bulb, but mounts in the dash, and it pulls up and down like a plunger to shoot fuel into the carb, your sled has a Tilloston doesn't it??
It should have a fitting accept the primer line.

They are only $20.00 CDN.

Click on the link below and go to pg 189.

http://www.royaldistributing.com/servlet/MiddleRedirect?page=index1.html

·
Registered
608 Posts
You can find the primers at Dennis Kirk, They are either button or plunger type. They inject raw fuel directly into the manifold. This is better than starting fluid. Diethyl ether can dry out engine parts creating additional wear. There are also health and combustion hazards to consider with starting fluid. It works good but I avoid it whenever possible.

·
Registered
266 Posts
It sounds like the crankcase seals are shot.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Maybe so ,maybe not. I had an old Panther that was that way. As they wore out it got lean so I richened it up. It got leaner and I did it again.Being that I was a kid with no money I did what I could to ride. It wouldn't start worth a darn. I would pull that old rope with the handle like a lawn mower till my fingers bled. In those old days it was common to give them a sniff of Ether and boy would the blue fire shoot out of the carb.{no air filter just a velocity stack}. I did this for two seasons and finally put seals in it and it would start right up. So since Elan man's sleigh is an old dinosaur {like me} I thought about the days of yore and how I fixed my first sled.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts