Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to get a firecat this winter as my new sled. I live where it gets really cold in the winter (middle of Adirondacks) Would EFI or Carbs be the way to go?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
874 Posts
I prefer carbs. I don't know exactly what the "little black box" is doing to my engine, and that concerns me.

Although I've never owned EFI, I've been told that it significantly limits the number and type of modifications you can do to your engine. I've heard great things about the F7, but like all these machines, you can do things to make them even better. Carbs would allow you more flexibility to take advantage of aftermarket products.

Lots of people I know buy EFI because they don't want to do any jetting when the temperature and/or elevation changes. Personally, while I fully understand the "science" behind jetting and I'm not intimidated by it, I'm not fan of actually doing it either. That's why the carb compensators by Holtzman are so great and are the first thing that I install on my sleds. I'm using the currently using the ATACC, which became available last summer. I used the Vari-Flow prior to the ATACC becoming available. Both are great products and I'd recommend them to anybody. Holtzman also has a Tempa-Flow for prairie riding that compensates for temperature change only. These things keep your jetting tuned all day long...great performance and mileage regardless (to a certain degree) of temp/elev. Some guys like to tinker all day and smell like gasoline...more power to them. When they stop and get the tools out, I get a short rest then the chance to track up the mountain before they do! I prefer to ride all day without worrying about whether or not I'm running too lean or too rich, and come home wore out and smelling like 2-stroke smoke instead.

Check out http://www.holtzmaneng.com to see if he has a product that will accommodate you temperature and elevation range. If he does, I'd recommend going with it and a carbed F7. Good luck! I'd love the chance to ride an F7...maybe this year.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the input, I have always ridden sleds with carbs and was just wondering how the efi's go. Thanks for the aftermarket ideas!

Josh
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,932 Posts
As Flange says it will limit your aftermarket upgrades somewhat. But if you just want an anytime anywhere sled right from the factory the BEFI is the way to go. I have ridden with a number guys with efi's and they always run great.
I did put an ATACC on my tcat it works awesome just jet it once and forget it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
With a firecat I think that I have enough hp stock to have a grin from ear to ear under my helmet for a long time. So upgrades are not something I would really be putting on that sled. Perhaps if I am not planning to do future mods/upgrades efi is the way to go.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18 Posts
Originally posted by Flange
[br]I prefer carbs. I don't know exactly what the "little black box" is doing to my engine, and that concerns me.

Although I've never owned EFI, I've been told that it significantly limits the number and type of modifications you can do to your engine. I've heard great things about the F7, but like all these machines, you can do things to make them even better. Carbs would allow you more flexibility to take advantage of aftermarket products.

Lots of people I know buy EFI because they don't want to do any jetting when the temperature and/or elevation changes. Personally, while I fully understand the "science" behind jetting and I'm not intimidated by it, I'm not fan of actually doing it either. That's why the carb compensators by Holtzman are so great and are the first thing that I install on my sleds. I'm using the currently using the ATACC, which became available last summer. I used the Vari-Flow prior to the ATACC becoming available. Both are great products and I'd recommend them to anybody. Holtzman also has a Tempa-Flow for prairie riding that compensates for temperature change only. These things keep your jetting tuned all day long...great performance and mileage regardless (to a certain degree) of temp/elev. Some guys like to tinker all day and smell like gasoline...more power to them. When they stop and get the tools out, I get a short rest then the chance to track up the mountain before they do! I prefer to ride all day without worrying about whether or not I'm running too lean or too rich, and come home wore out and smelling like 2-stroke smoke instead.

Check out http://www.holtzmaneng.com to see if he has a product that will accommodate you temperature and elevation range. If he does, I'd recommend going with it and a carbed F7. Good luck! I'd love the chance to ride an F7...maybe this year.
Does that mean with the ATACC I can run a machine with a pipe and not have to adjust the jets when the temp changes?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
874 Posts
Yes, as long as your jetted properly for your lowest elevation and lowest temperature. ATACC compensates for reductions in ambient pressure and temperature.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,617 Posts
Originally posted by joslow420
[br]With a firecat I think that I have enough hp stock to have a grin from ear to ear under my helmet for a long time. So upgrades are not something I would really be putting on that sled. Perhaps if I am not planning to do future mods/upgrades efi is the way to go.
If you ever want to mod a F7 that has EFI D&D has pipes that work with the stock EFI chip. At least I think it was D&D...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,619 Posts
i am gonna have to buy one of those things u guys talk bout if i get the Pro X2, i prefer to just ride and not worry bout that stuff that much, altough its pretty constant elevation here in the prairie, but i do plan on making a trip out to the mountains with it too
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
874 Posts
Originally posted by arctic-cat-guy
[br]i am gonna have to buy one of those things u guys talk bout if i get the Pro X2, i prefer to just ride and not worry bout that stuff that much, altough its pretty constant elevation here in the prairie, but i do plan on making a trip out to the mountains with it too
If elevation isn't an issue, then you might take a serious look at the Tempa-Flow. As for a trip to the mountains, go for it! Have you ever been before?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,619 Posts
i went tehre last winter with my Powder Special which is EFI
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
821 Posts
i thought i heard someone say sleds with efi were slower than sleds with carbs. I have no idea why it would be or why i heard it. I would think it actually be the other way around but i don't know. I just heard that somehwere. It could be totally wrong.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,619 Posts
will, my dad rented the XC i rode my PS...

alex, i do believe carbs are faster cuz they can be more fine tuned for conditions unlike EFI where it is just a computer running your sled, people are smarter than computers and mechanical stuff is alot easier to control than a computer also
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
11,279 Posts
I like carb the best but efi is nice cause u dont have to jet and have easy startings..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,617 Posts
Both systems have their + and - points.
EFI or BEFI: Good starting, consistant performance.
Carbs: More tunable, easy to modify.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,020 Posts
I would think it would be easier to replace a carb or carbs compared to a $600 computer.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
874 Posts
Originally posted by 88400
[br]I would think it would be easier to replace a carb or carbs compared to a $600 computer.
You wouldn't necessarily replace the carbs. Its more common to change minor components like pilot jets and main jets, and adjust the position of the needles, I guess you could always bore them out, but I'd consider that to be a pretty serious mod.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,020 Posts
Yeah, Thats another thing with carbs, you usually dont have to replace the whole body just parts here and there.
 
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Top