Snowmobile Fanatics banner

EFI Problem

2K views 21 replies 9 participants last post by  dhc2 
#1 ·
My 96 Indy 500 EFI has developed a bug where at very random times and conditions, but always under high power settings it will just up and die like the kill switch is shut off. Once it comes to a start it will usually fire right back up and go like mad for a while longer. Some times 15 minutes, sometimes 45.....

Anyone had this problem or have any ideas where to start looking. I have a feeling it is in the EFI system, Spark seems fine, plugs are fine, fuel is new and clean, intake screen is clear.......almost like a vapor lock or short in the fuel delivery system....

[:(]

#2 ·
Hows the fuel filter? Sounds like it may be clogged. Maybe a pinched or restricted fuel line.

#3 ·
I had this happen to my 94 Indy 500 EFI. I had it repaired, it cost $200.00. If I remember corectly, they had to replace parts on the EFI box. I'll dig out my receipt...this is a few years back...and I'll repost with the information..

#4 ·
Originally posted by XCSPDUDE
[br]I had this happen to my 94 Indy 500 EFI. I had it repaired, it cost $200.00. If I remember corectly, they had to replace parts on the EFI box. I'll dig out my receipt...this is a few years back...and I'll repost with the information..
Check the small stuff first, look at the fuel filters and for pinched lines as stated above. This happened on my RXL last year. I'd get up to 80 MPH and then she'd drop to 0 for RPM. It was just a pinched line.

#5 ·
Found the info. 2 parts had to be replaced...the relay assembly and the air temp sensor. The total bill was $70 for parts and $80 for labor. I would be riding and then it would shut down as if I was out of gas. Wait 10 minutes and it would start up and go for a while longer and cut out again. Luckily, I was only 3-4 miles from home. As 3xIndy says, look for the small stuff first, then dig deeper. With an EFI, you don't want to get stuck 100 miles out. I always made sure my Indy was in good order, but after 10 years..it needed a couple of parts. This was my situation, but may not be yours...hope this helps. Please reply on what you found...I would like to know. It would be good info for my friend that bought my Indy

JT
Originally posted by XCSPDUDE
[br]I had this happen to my 94 Indy 500 EFI. I had it repaired, it cost $200.00. If I remember correctly, they had to replace parts on the EFI box. I'll dig out my receipt...this is a few years back...and I'll repost with the information..

#6 ·
Is your control module flashing any codes? If not, then definitely check the small things first.

#7 ·
Just a thought- may not be your problem. Check your saftey switch on your throttle. Every time I have had a problem with my 95 Indy EFI starting or running right it was because the throttle lever was stuck in a weird position.

#8 ·
well here is a update...
I checked the wire connections on the ECM, plugs, fuel lines and added some more ISO HEET.

Took her out today, 10 - 15 F and rode the piss out of it on the trails and river for 53 miles. Never missed a beat or died at all. I drove slow, cruised & all out for various time periods.

Then the last 3 miles from home, I took off across a 3 mile swamp with 2 foot of new snow. For the first 2 miles it did fine, then it died right in it's track. Pulled the rope and it fired right up, gave it gas and it moved 5 feet and died again. Pulled the rope twice , it started and I let it idle for a few minutes and drove the final 1/2 mile or so and stayed in old tracks and did not carve up the fresh snow and it did fine.

So I have concluded that snow entering the screens on the hood is obviously melting on the exhaust and entering the intake somewhere, but nothing is obvious.... any ideas???

Thanks for all of tips so far.

Tom

#9 ·
Is it sputtering down? Or is it just dieing like the switch was turned off? If its sputtering down, then it is probably fuel related... If it is just quickly dieing, then its probably electrical, I would start with the throttle safety switches. You can just unplug them and ride it, if the problem goes away, then you found your answer... If it still exists, then its somewhere else.

#11 ·
No... the switches are in the throttle block. If you grab your throttle lever and look between the lever and the block, you will see the little black switch. The other is inside the block. Under the handlebar pad, there will be a few plugs with wires that go to your throttle block, one is for the thumb warmer, the other is the switches. Once you unplug it, you should be able to start the sled easily, but BEWARE, your safety shutoff switch will NOT work, so if this is the problem, you need to replace the switches and get everything plugged back in, or (and I advise against this) remove the switches altogether.

#13 ·
^^^ I disagree, if that were the case, it would not start within seconds of dieing, it would take time to dry out, then it would start again and run until it got wet again.

#14 ·
Originally posted by bwinkler
[br]^^^ I disagree, if that were the case, it would not start within seconds of dieing, it would take time to dry out, then it would start again and run until it got wet again.
It may not be getting wet but it does sound like an intermitten short.

#15 ·
I'm not sure the Polaris EFI's ever had safety switches either. I know the RXL never had anything like that. I'm going to check my manual tonight and see what the wiring schematic looks like.

#16 ·
Originally posted by Triple650Indy
[br]I'm not sure the Polaris EFI's ever had safety switches either. I know the RXL never had anything like that. I'm going to check my manual tonight and see what the wiring schematic looks like.
I have a '91 RXL just like you, and mine definitely has them. As a matter of fact every sled manufactured since I think the late '70's early '80's has them by law. Your PO may have removed them, a lot of people do, they tend to be problematic.

#17 ·
????

K, I see the two "Speed Assurance Switches". However I think I can ruin your theory here. Those switches negate the speed signal going to ECU along the White/Black wire. This is used in a common procedure under flooded starting. When the throttle is fully depressed the ECU cuts any signal from the injectors until 700 RPM, is read by the ECU, which is determined after the motor is running and the throttle is let off by the operator. So those "Speed Assurance Switches" cannot have a duel role in this case. They either prevent the motor from running period or they don't. Get my drift, and my interpretation of the diagram I have for my 91' RXL tells me that they will allow the motor to run. And this is also speaking from experience as I have started the motor under this "Flooded Procedure."

#18 ·
Also, I don't recall a law against not having throttle safety sensors, otherwise everytime anybody every tried to start a sled under a flooded condition whether carbed or not with the throttle depressed, the sled wouldn't start.

#19 ·
Then you missinterpret the way the 2 switches work... they are for a stuck throttle condition, if the cable ices over and does not return, and the throttle is released, the switches cause the motor to die. They are in parallel with the stop switch and are N.O. if any one of them closes, they cause a short and kill the motor.

The flood condition override in an EFI system is controlled by the throttle position sensor. I know you are very knowledgeable about the Indy's, specifically the RXL... But I have been building and racing EFI vehicles my entire life and I know what I'm talking about.

Here is the patent info on them, they were patented in '72 and were mandatory shortly after, unfortunately, I can't find the info on that. However, there are a few people on this site that know what I am referring to and can back me on this.
http://www.wikipatents.com/3798402.html

#20 ·
Originally posted by bwinkler
[br]Then you missinterpret the way the 2 switches work... they are for a stuck throttle condition, if the cable ices over and does not return, and the throttle is released, the switches cause the motor to die. They are in parallel with the stop switch and are N.O. if any one of them closes, they cause a short and kill the motor.

The flood condition override in an EFI system is controlled by the throttle position sensor. I know you are very knowledgeable about the Indy's, specifically the RXL... But I have been building and racing EFI vehicles my entire life and I know what I'm talking about.

Here is the patent info on them, they were patented in '72 and were mandatory shortly after, unfortunately, I can't find the info on that. However, there are a few people on this site that know what I am referring to and can back me on this.
http://www.wikipatents.com/3798402.html
You're right... I got a chance to read my manual last night.

#21 ·
I'm having a similar issue with my 93 500EFI, but mine only dies if I'm riding slow. If I've got the hammer down she runs like a bat outta hell. I can tap the fuel pump relay until I hear the pump kick in and then it will start right back up and away she goes. I tested the relay and it tests out good but I'm going to go buy a new one anyway and see if that fixes it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.