Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Strange issue here. The machine is running a bit rough, hard to get to high RPM. I discovered that it's only firing on one cylinder. Not getting any fuel to the left cylinder. How could it get fuel to one cylinder, but not the other with an EFI and throttle body system?

I need to get this problem solved. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
dougalhaven said:
Strange issue here. The machine is running a bit rough, hard to get to high RPM. I discovered that it's only firing on one cylinder. Not getting any fuel to the left cylinder. How could it get fuel to one cylinder, but not the other with an EFI and throttle body system?

May have to wait for the guru of EFI to log in([highlight=yellow]Ugly OLD POOP). [/highlight=yellow]He usually logs in in the AM.I highlighted that just for you Dave.[:D]

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ultrawillie said:
dougalhaven said:

May have to wait for the guru of EFI to log in([highlight=yellow]Ugly OLD POOP). [/highlight=yellow]He usually logs in in the AM.I highlighted that just for you Dave.[:D]
Thanks Ultrawilly. I'm going out to the garage after my pizza and beer and have another look at it.

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
My guess would be a bad injector but i could be wrong.

·
Registered
9,987 Posts
Look for a blinking LED on the ECU, it will tell you if the computer thinks the injector is bad. If there's a blinking light, it's a code. Slow blinks then fast blinks. Post them here.

It could be a corroded connection, pinched or shorted wire, a bad ECU, bad or clogged Injector, or a bad dropping resistor, etc. Could also be a weak fuel pump, or clogged fuel filter, or a leak in the fuel inlet in the gas tank.

Most likely, it's the fuel pickup sucking air in the gas tank, and only supplying the one injector with enough fuel to fire that cylinder.

A couple quick tests to help narrow it down --

-first, pull the gas cap and listen carefully, turn the key on and off a couple times. you should hear a steady stream of fuel going back into the gas tank.. If it sputters or splashes, fuel is yer problem.

-swap the plugs on the 2 injectors, and see if the problem stays with the same hole or moves with the plug. If it stays in the same hole, it's the injector or fuel flow. If the problem moves, it's the ECU or the wiring.

ultrawillie said:
That's MISTER Ugly OLD POOP to you.... [thumb]

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
ultrawillie said:
That's [highlight=yellow]MISTER[/highlight=yellow] Ugly OLD POOP to you.... [thumb]
[/quote]

YES SIR!!![:D]

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ugly_old_Poo_kid said:
Look for a blinking LED on the ECU, it will tell you if the computer thinks the injector is bad. If there's a blinking light, it's a code. Slow blinks then fast blinks. Post them here.

It could be a corroded connection, pinched or shorted wire, a bad ECU, bad or clogged Injector, or a bad dropping resistor, etc. Could also be a weak fuel pump, or clogged fuel filter, or a leak in the fuel inlet in the gas tank.

Most likely, it's the fuel pickup sucking air in the gas tank, and only supplying the one injector with enough fuel to fire that cylinder.

A couple quick tests to help narrow it down --

-first, pull the gas cap and listen carefully, turn the key on and off a couple times. you should hear a steady stream of fuel going back into the gas tank.. If it sputters or splashes, fuel is yer problem.

-swap the plugs on the 2 injectors, and see if the problem stays with the same hole or moves with the plug. If it stays in the same hole, it's the injector or fuel flow. If the problem moves, it's the ECU or the wiring.

ultrawillie said:
That's MISTER Ugly OLD POOP to you.... [thumb]
Thanks guys. You've given me a roadmap for problem solving. The beers last night didn't help at all (lol). I'll let you know what I find.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts