Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am wonderign what is the advantage off having an EGT gauge on my sled, will it help you no if your lean or rich is it easier to decide on jetting any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
EGT gauges let you see the performance of your engine as conditions change, so adjustments can be made before things burn up. If you run factory settings off the temp/elevation chart, you will always be rich, and leave some performance untouched in your sled.

If you do go leaner than the factory advice, it's great to have an indication that what you are doing isn't going to burn things up. And if you live on that edge between maximum performance and burn-down, it's even more necessary to monitor the exhaust temps with a gauge.

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ok thanks, i am planning on buying one for my prox because i am gonna be rejetting it, right now its a little rich for my likings and i want another way to check on how my motor is doing. any good EGT setups and how much money would i be looking at?

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
Digatron makes a really nice setup for snowmobiles, they are a little on the spendy side, but give you a TON of info.

http://www.digatrondirect.com/

Westach also makes gauges, SLP sells 'em, lots less money with no frills... there are others, but those two are used a lot for snowmobiles.

http://www.startinglineproducts.com

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for the help ive found what im looking for just gotta buy a few things first then il get that.

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
Kimpex has recently released a cool digital EGT set up that is fairly affordable and looks real trick. The nice thing about them is you are able to monitor the running conditon of your sled, not only is it a performance thing, think of it as a heart rate monitor for your sled, it can warn you of potential disaster in time for you to react and save time and $$$..Plus they look cool.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
EGTs used to be the rage in drag racing. Now they are finding they are pretty much another tool. Not the end all be all. We can see changes in temperature by moving the sending unit less than an 1/8 of an inch.

With that said if someone tells you to run such and such EGT there will be a significant difference from one sled to another just by where they have theirs mounted.

What you need to do is watch spark plugs and piston wash. When you got that set perfect remember what your EGT is at. That will work for YOUR sled only. You will be able to monitor it from conditions to conditions. Not by what others are doing.

Drag racing everyone is throwing the EGTs away, and going to LM1 air fuel monitor. But I have no idea how that would work on a two stroke.

Also in a 4 stroke a way too rich setting will give crazy high EGTs. The fuel is still being burnt (wasted) as it goes through the header.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts