Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been reading alot of responses and threads regarding EGTs and I see ALOT of bad information given.

We have used EGTs in racing for years, and are now throwing them away.

An EGT is a tool, nothing more nothing less, its not the end all be all for jetting issues. Placement of the probe will show huge variations in temperature which can/will cause major performance issues.

Nobody can tell you where the EGT should be, they can give you a ball park figure to get you close and keep you safe, but each machine, pipe set up and probe placement will give a wide variety of readings. We have seen on the Dyno placing the probe as little as 1/4 further back or closer will change the reading significantly. Also placing it near a bend in the header will do the same.

If this set up is a tool you plan to use, you still need to watch spark plugs and piston wash. When you get everything where you should be note the EGT. That is your tool as a reference only. When items or conditions change you will be able to compare it. Make changes if necessary.

I just dont want someone buying one and installing on a sled that has been running great for a few years and go.. .damn Im way rich, I better jet it down. Because someone told them that was the "magic" number and they melt it down.

Also a way rich condition can and will give a high reading on the EGT. Excess fuel still burning as it exits the cylinder.

This info may be old news for many, but if it saves one piston then its all good.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Very well written. That it is good information for beginners and novice tuners.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
This is why people need to purchase reference material. Exhaust Gas Technologies has a very good booklet for sale that details placement from the major pipe manufacturers, and also the sled manufacturers as well.

I never fails to amaze me people are willing to accept what they read as gospel because they are too cheap or lazy to purchase the service manual or other information.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts