8K views 16 replies 16 participants last post by  Toddo 
#1 ·
[attachment=8550]
[attachment=8546]
[attachment=8547]
[attachment=8548]
[attachment=8549]

1979 El Tigre Cross Country
Last driven in 1981 - Bored, milled, polished ports and heads, tuned exhaust, nitro oxide and thermocouples on the exhaust (temps). Found in barn and purchsed from 85 year old farmer for $400 - show room condition with 1,000 miles.
It has metallic green paint, with a factory catelever rear suspension.
Does anyone know the history of this type of sled. My father-in-law said they timed in in 1980 at 122mph in Michigan. There is not a scratch or thread loose on the seats - just dusty....cool.

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Underhood shots?

#5 ·
I'm SURE it's quick, but most sleds today cannot achieve 122mph--mine certainly can't, so I think that's a bit of a boast. It IS however, a sweet sled, and you got dang lucky finding such a rare artifact. Enjoy!! [;)]

EDIT: Oh, and Welcome to the Forum!!

#11 ·
That is factory hyd. brakes and if a stock 81 5000 F/A can hit 95+ MPH don't doubt a built factory race sled with NO2 could not hit a 120+! You gotta be a little nutty to wind er up unless you are on a long lake or something! Anyone with EXACT NUMBERS of sleds built for this model PLEASE SHARE WITH US. I got two of these and am very interested in knowing numbers!

#12 ·
This was the last of A/C cross country racing sleds back then the limit was 56 hp to race in the I 500 and XC races. Your engine had a restrictor plate in the exhaust to limit HP as far as 120 not sure. An ok sled but by 79 the Indy 340's an TXL's were hard to beat in XC racing. The engine is a 440 or 500cc Suzuki same as the el tigre 6000 of that year. Still a rare sled

#13 ·
Originally posted by yamarx1
[br]This was the last of A/C cross country racing sleds back then the limit was 56 hp to race in the I 500 and XC races. Your engine had a restrictor plate in the exhaust to limit HP as far as 120 not sure. An ok sled but by 79 the Indy 340's an TXL's were hard to beat in XC racing. The engine is a 440 or 500cc Suzuki same as the el tigre 6000 of that year. Still a rare sled
My father had that same sled when I was little. It was wicked fast back then. It would whip just about every sled on the trails and long wideopen runs. He got a good deal on it. the guy he bought it from got beat in a race and sold it to my dad bcause of it. It could keep up with the best though. Those pics bring back some memories

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.