Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the market for a new ice fishing sled. The next one has to have reverse and electric start and a long track. I've looked a two so far and one had a lever for reverse and the other a push button. I'm wondering which is more reliable? The guy selling told me the push button one practical stalls the engine then gets it to run backwards???? This doesn't sound good to me. Any info would be great.

·
Registered
4,056 Posts
My dad has an 05 RMK with PERC and my 03 RMK has mechanical reverse, one plus of the mechanical is you dont need to have the sled warmed up to use it. Both of which have been very reliable with us.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. Didn't know you had to have it warmed up to use the electric reverse. Is that so it doesn't stall on you outright?

·
Registered
463 Posts
most manufacturers are using elec. reverse, and yes ALmOST stops the motor and turns it back on spinning backwards, wich is perfectly fine on a 2stroke! mainly the elec. reverse is lighter than a mechanical setup, but it sounds like you're looking for a utility sled so either setup woul suit you fine imo

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys. Checked out a 2001 Ski doo grand touring 380 Fan today and it had the electric reverse. It looked in great shape but he couldn't start it so I passed.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
No question electric. It's the only way to go. I had mech rev in my 02 and got rid of it and put in PERC. Best thing I ever did. No more trying to set the linkage just right. What a PITA! And you lose about 5-10 pounds of weight (if that matters to you).

srx_600- If you leave the full choke on, it will start right back up when cold. I did it on mine when it was -20 degrees after it idled for maybe a minute at most. The only time mine would die when I hit the PERC button cold is when I didn't have the choke on.

·
Registered
4,056 Posts
bigrok said:
No question electric. It's the only way to go. I had mech rev in my 02 and got rid of it and put in PERC. Best thing I ever did. No more trying to set the linkage just right. What a PITA! And you lose about 5-10 pounds of weight (if that matters to you).

srx_600- If you leave the full choke on, it will start right back up when cold. I did it on mine when it was -20 degrees after it idled for maybe a minute at most. The only time mine would die when I hit the PERC button cold is when I didn't have the choke on.
Will have to give that a shot, or tell me old man about it at least as im backing my mechanical reverse up[:p]

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
the mechanical is great if you like a seasonal adjustment checks.
if i was a computer nerd i would have electric on my old sled without a doubt.

·
Registered
9,987 Posts
The electric reverse works within 30 seconds of starting the sled.... Go electronic.

·
Registered
244 Posts
on every single sled i've owned that has had mechanical reverse it has broken, so has my friends. The electric reverse is great, its not quite the same as mine though.

1,792 Posts
srx_600 said:
My dad has an 05 RMK with PERC and my 03 RMK has mechanical reverse, one plus of the mechanical is you dont need to have the sled warmed up to use it. Both of which have been very reliable with us.
So, you buy a sled with elec rev, but you buy it to back off your trailer (which is where you do 99.9999% of backing up) 'cause you didn't buy a drive off trailer because your sled will have reverse. So you have to let it warm up first, while all your friends are warming up theirs in the parking lot and have to wait for you to back off the trailer first while they're ready to leave. Or you/they just get tired of waiting and pull your sled off for you, thereby revealing to yourself you wasted money getting reverse. [Disappointed]

Do what I do - take along your track dolly. Less parts to break.[thumb]

·
Registered
244 Posts
you hardly have to wait to let it warm up, you can do it pretty much instantly using the choke.

·
Registered
761 Posts
MakingTheWinterGoByFaster said:
srx_600 said:
So, you buy a sled with elec rev, but you buy it to back off your trailer (which is where you do 99.9999% of backing up) 'cause you didn't buy a drive off trailer because your sled will have reverse. So you have to let it warm up first, while all your friends are warming up theirs in the parking lot and have to wait for you to back off the trailer first while they're ready to leave. Or you/they just get tired of waiting and pull your sled off for you, thereby revealing to yourself you wasted money getting reverse. [Disappointed]

I normally start my sled and let it warm up for a minute or 2 on the trailer anyway as to make sure I wont have to push it back on the trailer...I dont usually ride with 2 many guys who are ready to go as soon as they hope out of the truck...

·
Registered
848 Posts
PERC electric reverse is a great way to go. The only time you'd have problems with it is if your sled doesn't run well, so it would just stall when the engine was about to come back, as long as you take care of your sled it wont be a problem. Mechanical reverse is nice in the fact that it doesn't have that problem, but its not going to last as long. My friend had a ZL 570 and it totally messed it up, grinded the gear, then the sled wouldn't move. If he allowed it to go down to idle, or shut it off, like PERC, that wouldn't happen. Not just PERC either, i think doo has the same idea.

·
Registered
4,056 Posts
MakingTheWinterGoByFaster said:
srx_600 said:

I do most of my backing up at the gas pumps when the area is a complete zoo.

·
Registered
268 Posts
I know you were talking about reverse but you said you were looking for a sled for ice fishing also make sure you get the longest and most wide track you can find in youu price range it makes a huge difference when you go to move your ice house A short trake will sit and spin............

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Both are reliable. Manufacturers all go with electronic these days cuz its consumer driven and mechanical would be a step backward. But as far as used sleds I wouldn't shy away from either.

·
Registered
845 Posts
srx_600 said:
Ya, who warms their sleds up these days? [pillepalle]

1 - 20 of 21 Posts