Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a 2001 polaris touring 550 fan. It has reverse but no electric start. The key seems to be wired for it. How hard of a job is it to install electric start? Can you use jobber parts or is Polaris the only way to go? Thanks.

·
Registered
384 Posts
I have never heard of any one using jobber parts to install an electric start. If your sled did not come with a ring gear bolted to the back of the primary you need to buy that from Polaris as a minimum. I don't know if your primary clutch is already drilled and tapped to screw a ring gear on. If not you are better to buy a new primary because they are balanced with the gear on. The starter has a mounting that will fit the drilled and tapped holes on your crank case.

If you use the Polaris kit it's an easy install. Don't know if they come with battery in kit but it will include a battery box along with the necessary cabling.

Te last time I bought a Polaris starter kit it included a new clutch

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
You can get a kit from Polaris to install electric start on your sled. You get a new primary clutch, starter and the wiring. All you would need then is a battery.
You just take the parts off of your stock clutch, put them in the e-start clutch and put it on your sled.
Its actually pretty easy to do, but the kit is far from cheap. It goes for $500.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
tHANKS FOR THE INFO. tHE WAY THIS SLED STARTS i THINK i'LL JUST SKIP IT. oNE WAY TO STOP THE KIDS FROM STARTING IT WHEN I'M NOT HOME.

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
You could always just lock the key up when you arent home.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Originally posted by Octane
[br]You could always just lock the key up when you arent home.
LOL, I can still remember when I was a kid on a snowday with no key and no electric start! ROFLMAO!

·
Registered
153 Posts
Sure did catch hell when dad got home...... Those were the days! 30+ years ago that is.... I know my kids are pretty smart but I guess they really wouldn't have a clue, It's just not the same now as it was back then. Geeze when I got grounded, my dad would just lock up the garage and tools. Kids now, mine included, you have to take away their electronics. Phone, computer, TV,Ipod and video games....

·
Registered
430 Posts
Kits are around $425 and comes with everything including a battery. Sell your old clutch to offset the cost. It takes about 1.5 hrs. to do. Just finished a 2001 XC800

1 - 11 of 11 Posts