Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone tried putting an electric start on a Pro X? [?] I'm tired of heaving (or trying to heave) over the 800 on the real cold mornings. It was -32C this morning...I couldn't get the thing started and had to take the old Indy instead![:(]

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
I dont think it is something that you can put on as an upgrade...

·
Registered
277 Posts
Polaris says its not available. But if theres a will theres a way. The motor is the same motor as the XC 800, so the primary clutch is the same. The only thing different is the bulkhead. Maybe there is a problem with clearance for the starter. Only thing I can think of. Because you can change the clutch, the switch, add the battery and wiring no problem. Ask your dealer if they have ever tried doing it. Or buy a membership to the local gym and start pumping iron!

·
Registered
5,686 Posts
Something you may want to try is on the first couple of pulls, take the cord handle and pull it slowly and easily back, just to get it loosened up.Theres no sense in using all you strength up those first couple of pulls, when its not gonna start anyhow.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
you can also get a block heater too that way your motor will be already warm when you go to start it..ive never used one so i dont know how they work..

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
A block heater?! Now there's an idea...so how does that work? I wonder if there is already a spot on the engine for a plug...like on a car. Anyone every try this????

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
the one i seen is a magnetic pad and you can put it anywhere on your motor and then just plug it into your house and it will heat the pad up keeping your motor somewhat warm..the price was $33.95

·
Registered
5,686 Posts
Only thing is aluminum is not magnetic......

·
Registered
10 Posts
Snogurl
Those external heaters I don't think get very hot (that's good), If you are satisfied that they couldn't start a fire you could also put an old parka over the engine under the hood. I don't know if you have to trailer to ride but if you do it can get stiff again trailering. If not too far to trailer cover the engine with old parkas and tarp to trailer.
This past weekend I trailered about 30 miles at -25C and the machine was as stiff as when I tented last Janurary at -35C with the machine sitting tarped outside the tent overnight. When I trailer home after an 80 mile run same problem, it started but very stiff.

My snow blower has the same problem at -35C. For that I put a hair dryer on for about 15 minutes,as your machine is LC it would take longer for the heat to get past the water jacket.
You could also put a trouble light with a guard on it under the hood overnight, just make sure that the guard is not against something that can burn. Under the exhaust manifold should be good if there isn't a bunch of oil that has dripped from the muffler joint.
Then cover the hood with something that is insulated like an old rug or a quilt. Over a long perion this will work if you can stop the heat from escaping.

Old Cheetah

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
Best cool weather solution for big bore engines....an in-line block heater.
Just drain some fluid, cut a lower coolant hose, slide the heater in between, clamp, fill with antifreeze, and plug her in.
What could be easier and cheaper...only 40 bucks at Royal Distributing.

Go to page 83 at:

http://www.royaldistributing.com/servlet/MiddleRedirect?page=index1.html

·
Registered
5,686 Posts
500fasEnuf came up with the best idea. Thats the way I would go.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks! I am going to check out that block heater at Royal Distributing...that's even cheaper than a gym membership!!!

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
Originally posted by snogurl
[br]Thanks! I am going to check out that block heater at Royal Distributing...that's even cheaper than a gym membership!!!
Your welcome snogurl...lol @ gym membership...

TUSF workout - OK....helmet on...grap the handle, and pull...and pull...and choke... and pull...and pull...and prime...and pull....and pull...and pull...Ok....throttle....lol

"Gyyme.?.?....Oh a GYYYYYYMMMME" - Homer Simpson

·
Registered
6 Posts
My 99 RMK 700 starts FIRST pull, no matter what the temp(-30F - 60F), at whatever elevation (4200-10500).

Full choke, two primes, two pumps, one pull.

My RMK 800 is a different story... its usually two pulls. =)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts