Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my friend has a 94 arctic cat wildcat 700cc. It may be a year older or year newer but i am pretty sure its a 94. anyways we went to some grass drags today and then we were in the mood to go snowmobiling haha but unstead we just started his up and we remember the headlights didn't work last year. so i got to looking and trying to figure it out and i can't. There are three wires on each terminal of the battery. One set is for the EFI which works fine. the next set is for these little queer lights on the side that someone may have added extra i am not sure but anyways those work fine. the next set is for the head light...hand warmers...speedometer and basically everything electrical but nothing works. there is a fuse on the one wire right after it comes off the battery and the fuse is ok...i put a multi meter on it and there was juice. then the 2 wires go to thi silver type thing...i couldn't see it very good....it almost looked like ithad cooling fins???? but the two wires turn into like 5 or 6. basically can anyone help me on what to check...i looked to make sure everything was connected and everything was that i could see but a lot of wires were hidden....at least some of the big groups of wires but i doubt there is many connections hidden. I just reallly need some help or pointers on what to check out....sorry for making it long but thanks for now.

·
Administrator
13,095 Posts
Sounds kinda like a voltage regulator? Last year the voltage regulator on my dad's sled broke, and it proceeded to make all his headlights burn out.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
if that was it would that just affect the headlights and hand wammers and such but not affect the EFI. Also whats the easiest way to check that??? thanks

PS: I'm not sure but you said the voltage regulator went out and blew the bulbs there for there was to much voltage....i'm not sure if it would be a surge or continuous power but i unplugged the three wires going into the head light and they didn't have any electricity flowing through them so there wasn't any electricity at all there.

·
Administrator
13,095 Posts
Ah, good point

I have no idea then...

·
Registered
313 Posts
The silver thing with the fins is a rectifier - part number 24 on the micro fische - http://www.brownsleisureworld.com/Parts/SNOWMOBILE/1994/1994WILDCATEFI(0650-286-1994)/CONSOLEANDWIRINGASSEMBLIES.htm - the voltage regulator is part 14... If the regulator was gone then the bulbs would blow, it the rectifier was gone thewn there would be no power to anything plugged into the same harness. To check this, disconnect the rectifier from the harness and check the polug for power. If you have power there then the rectifier is ot fault.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ok i will check for blown bulbs but i don't think its the regulator....on the rectifier there is approx. 5 wires coming out of it and if i remember correctly i can't unplug it from the harness but anyways what wires do i check......are they all hot and the ground don't go through it????

·
Registered
948 Posts
Alex does the tailight work or do the same as the headlight. (no light) If it's just the headlights with the problem its possible the short is in the high/low switch. Happened to my friends sled where his lights would shine very dim or not at all but tailight was fine.

Just another option.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
nothing on that circuiti if you wanna say work....headlights...taillight...hand warmers...thumb warmers....and whatever else. I am still thinking it could be the rectifier i am just not exactly sure how to test it?? Also what do the wires coming out of it do...it seemed like 2 going in and approx 5 coming out although that could be all wrong....i don't have the sled here to look at it. Also what does the thing do or whats the purpose of it?

·
Registered
142 Posts
Originally posted by larrywannamaker
[br]sorry for the type-o's, it's hard to type with your son on your lap......
I have that problem with my daughters./snofan/../images/users/F6 Sno Pro/bounce.gif

·
Registered
14 Posts
Alex
When you check for power at the headlights. Check for AC voltage not DC, When the machine is running. Then if you have voltage at idle does the voltage increase as you rev the machine up? It shouldn't go above about 13.5 volts on the AC scale. The ground wire on Arctic is brown and you need to connect to the brown not just to the chassis. On older EFI models with a battery, the EFI runs directly of the battery and 2 of the wires coming from the regulator go to charge the battery. If there are side lights someone added them and they probably hooked them up to the battery.
All the rest of the components work directly from the regulator and it sounds like you have a bad regulator and it took out all the items via over current. That's why they run the EFI thru the battery or that would go too.
If you don't have power up at the lights then poke into the wires that come from the stator or mag that go to the regulator and see if you have power there. If not then it could be a bad stator or lighting coil in the mag. All magneto set ups on sleds produce AC current. I hope this helps.

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
Shouldn't you be able to test the rectifier for continuity.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
wow that is a lot of info. i am going to go over there this weekend and try to figure it out. I was checking for DC voltage though...that could be a problem. The EFI was ran directly to the battery as you said...and so were the little queer lights on the side and they both work...but none of the other lights or hand warmers and what not work. Where or what does the stator look like...and also the regulator if i'm not mistaken had two wires into it plus the ground was connected to it??? I will play around with it and i am printing out what you said haha...thanks for now

PS: I was sort of thinking the rectifier may be able to be checked for continuity after i looked up what it does but i'm not sure

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
OK i didnt read everything here, but Check for a Ground problem...if you have juice going up to the headlights, its gotta go somewhere...and if it doesnt have a ground its like a sled with no snow...it really wants to go somewhere, but cant do it very easily.

·
Registered
14 Posts
This is a magneto ignition. Not a car. The ground is the brown lead the yellow is positive. But like I told you it is AC voltage so it's not like a car even though it has a battery. The rectifier convert the AC to DC for charging the battery. On most sleds the headlights taillights etc run from AC voltage. The regulator is a small square box that has aluminumfins on it but those face downwared so all you see is a little square with some black or clear plastic with 1 screw thru the middle holding in down. The stator is inside the mag. You have to remove the recoil and flywheel to access it. But you can test it's output by checking the wires that come directlly out of the mag.
Good luck

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
I just have one thing to say... If your voltage regulator goes that doesnt mean that your bulb will blow... In all the cases I have seen the power just dulls and all the lights are dull.

·
Registered
14 Posts
If the voltage regulator goes it turns into an open circut. When the sled is idling the lights are dim sometimes even with a good reg. When it is bad the lights will get very brite when you are running in the higher RPMs. Sometimes the halogen bulbs will last quite some time before the go but they will burn out because of it. If you don't have a lot of electrical items drawing power they will go right away. With the battery it will absorb some of it. A reg. on snowmobile does nothing when the voltage is low it only controls high voltage or another words maintains a steady voltage but only when the voltage is above the value that the reg. is made for.
Look in any service manual and it will confirm this.
Bye

1 - 18 of 18 Posts