Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an electrical problem with a 97 Puma that I have. I believe it's a 340 or 360cc.. All the lights keep flickering on and off (headlight, taillight, speedometer). I've followed the wires from the headlight.. and can't see to find anything loose. When it idles.. it's fine, but once you start to drive it it'll flicker, sometimes staying off for a full second or two. Obviously there has to be a bad connection or short somewhere. Any ideas?? I hate to bring it into the shop for such a minor problem and get charged a fortune for it. Even physically rocking the machine side to side won't duplicate the problem.

History:

Always kept inside a shed, it's a 97 with 260 miles on it. Only driven for one season. Great condition starts right up, no corrosion or rusting anywhere from what I can see. Has a brand new battery and still has the same problem

·
Registered
3 Posts
Try checking the wiring under the seat. Sometimes mice like to get in there and chew. You also might want to check in the tail light section. Sounds like a shot to me - good luck.

·
Administrator
13,092 Posts
Yeah, also check the wire to the voltage regulator.

Also, check the name on the seat, A Puma is an Arctic Cat, not a Polaris [;)]

Good Luck finding your electrical problem, those are hard to iron out!

·
Registered
287 Posts
Also check for moisture/water lurking in connections.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
LOL.. thanks for making fun of me. I got his 97 Puma confused with his 99 Polaris 500.. But it is the Puma that is having the problem. IT's weired, he tightened the brake on the sled and it seemed to make the problem go away. It still flickers every once and a while, but nothing like it did.. Coincidence?? Remember.. it's all the lightening on the sled.. I would think it has to be from a main source that feeds all the lights.. Not the rear light, or under the seat.. I would think it would be from the engine compartment before the lights split to go there own direction... Voltage regulator?? What does it look like.. We know nothing about them.. mechanics wise.. Thanks for any help

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
I'd bet your losing a good ground. Check out ALL the grounds on the sled and see if any are loose.

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Well under the seat is a ground, so I would check that, and the voltage reegulator, its right under the engine on the floor of the sled. Its a 2inch square, that has a get like material in it. I don't think that its the reegulator tho because when they go, they usually just dull the lights and never goes back to full power.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts