Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a problem at the end of the season last spring where I lost my electrics; headlight, dash lights and handwarmers didn't work or barely worked half-way through a day-long ride.

Over the summer I looked over all my connections and they seemed ok, had lights when I fired it up, but you can't really tell how good they're working when you're in the garage.

Went for the first ride of the season last night and my lights were all dim and my hand-warmers barely worked. (good thing for a full moon[:D])

Could this be a bad ground? This was our first thought, but I was just reading my skidoo manual and it was saying it might be my voltage regulator. Anyone run into this?

·
Registered
287 Posts
It does sound like your regulator. If you have a meter, measure the voltage on the solid yellow wire on your sled while it's running. It should be right around 12 to 13 volts AC.

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
I have to say voltage regulator FOR SURE!

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
One thing I forgot to mention; I went to start it this morning and the battery was dead, as if it didn't charge at all while riding last night. It started ok last night, though.

I will test the voltage regulator but I'll probably have to scrounge up a battery charger first; I can't pull this baby over![:I]

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, I went and bought a battery charger and charged it up. Then I tried to find the voltage regulator and couldn't find it. I looked for about a half hour before I called the dealer. They said it was probably right in front of the engine. Well, it was under the engine. What a stupid setup! I probably spend another hour just trying to get to it enough to grab the yellow wire! I had to undo the exhaust pipe and twist it out of the way, and reach in there with needle nose pliers and a screwdriver; there is no way to get your hands in there.

Anyway, to make a short story long[8)], I was finally able to test it and it's NFG. Ordered a new one from the dealer and Trailblazer will pick it up for me tomorrow.

I was wondering if I would be better off removing the engine bolts and lifting the engine to get under there? If that's not too complicated, the actual swap will be a 5 minute job. To work on it with the engine in place, I'll be playing "dropsy" and "dammit!" for hours on Saturday night when I'd rather be out riding!

·
Registered
287 Posts
Did you get your regulator swapped out yet, Jacqui??

·
Registered
66 Posts
Hi Jacqui: I am new here but read you problem. I have been an Electrician for over 30 years. You might still have a problem when you install the new regulator. If you do then disconnect all wireing. Sounds like you have a short someplace. Check wireing including under the seat for wear and bear spots. If the battery was dead it sure sounds like a short someplace and not the regulator.[;)]

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Yeah the regulators are in the worst spot possible... I don't think you need to lift the engine. We use a ratchet set that had an angled head.. .I don't know the proper name. You could bend the tip of the ratchet to any angle. That worked fine. I would try and get your hand on one of those...

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well we swapped the regulator out Friday night. I tried using a universal joint on my socket set (I think that's what you're talking about, SledHead)and still couldn't get it. Then Trailblazer suggested I remove the recoil off the engine, then I was able to get at it. (Thanks Honey![:D])

Fired it up and my dash lights were all nice and bright and pretty again! Plus I put on the yellow grills that Trailblazer bought me for Christmas, and she's so pretty!

About my other problem, the ratcheting noise coming from under the front of the sled, we went riding last night and Trailblazer rode mine. The noise was still there even though I had adjusted my chain tensioner (it was loose; had thought that was the problem). He figured it was coming from the clutch, so he checked the belt and it had a flat spot on it. Swapped the belt and it ran mint for the rest of the night. I think all my problems are resolved, and I'm good to go![:D]

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Sweet deal... I don't know all the names for my tools. its "pass me that thingy, and the other thingy over there" lol

Are we talking about the same thing... This is what I was talking about...
/snofan/../images/users/SledHead/18381.jpg

1 - 13 of 13 Posts