Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

Ok well my new sled came with a few problems.

First of all its a 1997 Polaris XLT 600cc Triple (2up)

The head light is incredibly dim. Hardly puts off any light at all. The tail light is out but break light works. The hand warmers do not work. And lastly the speedo and tacko does not work but RPM guage works fine.

Guy told me today, probably a ground wire problem. I see all the ground wires come off the battery and under the motor. Where should I start looking and do we have any mechanically inclined pros that can give suggestions on these problems?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
187 Posts
could be a ground wire problem. are the lights all blown out, or is there just no power there? if the voltage regulator is bad, it can cause this problem. could be the lighting coil in the stator as well; a resistance test can determine that. do some looking around and see if you have good connections, no broken wires, etc. let us know what you find. -Polaris Doc

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No power to the tail light but there is power to the head light, just very little. Hence its incredibly dim. And the hand warmers dont work at all.

Had a mechanic take a quick look at the connectors today. Said a little corrosion but he cleaned that up. Problem still there.

Are these parts your suggesting easy to change for a novice? Also are they insanly expensive?

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
light test.

I have the info and will type it in word for word:
1 disconnect the alternator to main harness connector at engine
2 connect red lead of meter to yellow alternator wire and other lead to brown wire
3 start engine. while observing the voltage reading,increase the engine speed to about 3000 rpm.readings between 15 and 45 vac are considered normal
(this is unregulated voltage test)

regulated voltage test

1 reconnect the alternator to main wire harness.
2 same as step 2 above...except run black lead of meter to chassis ground.note:do not disconnect the regulator.take reading at the regulator.red lead to yellow.
3 start the engine.while observing the voltage reading,increase the engine speed to about 3000rpm.an acceptable reading will be between 10 and 15vac.

voltages lower than 10vac may indicate an excessive load,poor flywheel magnets,lighting coil problems,wiring problems or bad voltage regulator. higher than 15 vac indicate a voltage regulator problem or a poor ground at the regulator heat sink.

if you need the schematic let me know I will post it.

·
Registered
3,888 Posts
What pooxcsp500 mentioned is where I would start consindering your symptoms.

If that's ok, take off the grounds and clean them up. See if that helps, otherwise you have a short somewhere.

One question - Does the headlight get brighter as the rpms go up.

As for the speedo - Would that not be a cable, I'm pretty sure they didn't have digital gauges back then.

Follow the cable from the speedo to where it connects to the jackshaft.

Disconnect both ends and spin the shaft side. Watch the speedo side and see if it turns. If it turns then either your speedo is shot or the drive is shot.

If it doesn't turn your cable is broke.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
One question - Does the headlight get brighter as the rpms go up.

Answer: It does get brighter but even at full speed the headlight is still very dim. It wouldnt be enough light to guide me on a trail at night thats for sure but yes the brightness does go up slightly when I rev the engine.

As for the speedo - Would that not be a cable, I'm pretty sure they didn't have digital gauges back then.

Answer: Correct, its not digital.

Follow the cable from the speedo to where it connects to the jackshaft.

Answer: First, whats a jackshaft? Also would this affect the odometer? If the odomete is seperate would that be a good indicator that the whole cluster is blown?

·
Registered
3,888 Posts
Jackshaft is the shaft that shaft that runs from the bottom of the chaincase across the front of the tunnel. It has the drivers for the track.

It will be located on the bottom rear of your belly pan. Just follow the cable and it will lead you there.

The odometer and the speedometer run on the same cable.

As for the light getting brighter with higher rpm's, I guess I was thinking that would mean your stator was fine. However, that really doesn't make sense when I think about it now. Got a little ahead of myself, sorry bout that.

·
Registered
187 Posts
the speedo is cable driven. if you are driving the sled and the speedo needle doesn't move, then it's more than likely a broken key. this is located below the secondary clutch on the driveshaft. you have to unbolt the speedo coupler from the driveshaft to get to the key. could be a broken cable as well, but usually it's the key. by the way, the speedo cable hooks up to the driveshaft, not the jackshaft.
the jackshaft is the shaft that the secondary clutch is on, which goes to the chaincase. the odometer will only work if the needle works as well. both are driven off the cable. -Polaris Doc

·
Registered
3,888 Posts
Originally posted by Polaris_Doc
[br]...
the jackshaft is the shaft that the secondary clutch is on, which goes to the chaincase. the odometer will only work if the needle works as well. both are driven off the cable. -Polaris Doc
Wow, I am really off tonight. Got those mixed around.

*edit* - Perhaps I will take a break from this topic so I don't really get ya screwed up. [:p]

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Originally posted by Blackcat
[br]
Originally posted by Polaris_Doc
[br]...
Wow, I am really off tonight. Got those mixed around.

*edit* - Perhaps I will take a break from this topic so I don't really get ya screwed up. [:p]
Dont worry man, I was screwed up before I even asked the question... LMAO!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So far I've pulled every ground off and cleaned the connectors. The one ground that runs from my negative battery terminal to the side of the battery holder had breaks in it so I replaced the wire with a new ground.

So far, the tail light works, hand warmers do not and headlight is still pretty dim.

·
Registered
3,888 Posts
I'd say go with what pooxcsp500 said next for the electrical.

Have you checked your speedo cable yet?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Originally posted by Blackcat
[br]I'd say go with what POS pooxcsp500 said next for the electrical.

Have you checked your speedo cable yet?
Well I just finished pulling my cluster off and the speedo cable isnt attached to anything at the engine. I actually pulled the entire wire thingy right out of the sleeve. The cable itself isnt broken, its just not attached to anything at the engine it seems. There is no way I can disconnect that cable (or reconnect) at the engine as it goes right down under the engine. Looks like I'd need to pull my engine apart just to get at where it connects.

As for the headlight, bear in mind, Im no mechanic. But I did a little test of my own with my multimeter. I removed the bulb (60watt) and connected my multimeter into the bulb's connector. At idle my multimeter was reading 2.05 and at 3000rpms it read 2.38

My multimeter was set at 12v...

Doesnt this sound really low?

·
Registered
3,888 Posts
The cable doesn't connect to the engine. It probably goes under the engine, but it will come out the back and connect to the driveshaft.

As for the taillight I don't know what it should be. Hopefully someone else can answer that for you.

·
Registered
3,888 Posts
Sorry I thought you tested the taillight not the headlight.

I'm not familiar at all with how the motor sits in the belly pan in that sled. It will be the same kind of end as by the speedo.

I believe on the Ultras it was on the left side below the secondary, but it's been a long time since I have seen that so I could be wrong.

I'll look around and see if I can find a picture to look at.

Hopefully some other people with knowledge of your sled will get on later to look at this topic, I'm pretty much going on a general knowledge of sleds.

Have you tried testing the alternator yet?

·
Registered
3,888 Posts
Yeah, it's those engines are pretty packed in. I cannot find a picture of the secondary side of the driveshaft...although I'm not so sure you can get a picture the more I look at it. [:p]

As for the alternator, I'm pretty sure pooxcsp meant the stator. I'm pretty sure they don't actually have an "alternator."

On the recoil side of the engine (actually right next to the recoil), there will be some wires coming out. That is your stator.

*edit* - It looks like you will have to take off the muffler to get in there.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts