Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a used Polaris 600 2002 xc/sp . The electric start never worked. I put a new battery in and when I turn the key all it does is hum. Does anyone know what the problem could be?

·
Registered
610 Posts
If you pop the hood open and look at the electric start motor, which is in front of the engine, while turning the key, the gear on the electric start should pop out about an inch and spin when you turn the key. I'm assuming when you say it just hums, the gear is spinning but not popping out?

I'm not sure how to help you with the info you provided. Can you give us more info about the problem. When you turn the key, find out what the humming noise is and let us know. Also take a look at the starter motor and see if it spins or not. If it doesn't do anything, follow the wires and make sure everything is hooked up correctly.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
sledfreak139 said:
If you pop the hood open and look at the electric start motor, which is in front of the engine, while turning the key, the gear on the electric start should pop out about an inch and spin when you turn the key. I'm assuming when you say it just hums, the gear is spinning but not popping out?

I'm not sure how to help you with the info you provided. Can you give us more info about the problem. When you turn the key, find out what the humming noise is and let us know. Also take a look at the starter motor and see if it spins or not. If it doesn't do anything, follow the wires and make sure everything is hooked up correctly.
You are right . The starter motor spins and does not pop out an inch. What should I do to make the gear come out and meet the big gear?

Thanks sledfreak139

·
Registered
632 Posts
sometimes it will do that with a weak battery, but you said it is a new one. try putting it on a trickle charger and see what happens. otherwise maybe the bendix is out of it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts