Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
U lose power when you go up higher in elavation right?? And how much power would a lose from my 99 xc 500?

PS: Forgot to say might be takin it to West Yellowstone

·
Registered
3,013 Posts
Yes you will lose some power, because the air is less dense. As for how much power its hard to say.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
No one can give you a set power loss. It will depend on too many variables. With that said, unless your planning on trying to climb the highest mountains in the Rockies (highly unlikely with a 500) than I wouldn't worry about it...at all.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Ya it is hard to say what the exact % of power you will loose, Just rejet and redo the clutch and HAVE fun. That is what i did on mine when I moved it out from 1600 feet to 10,200 feet. and it is slower but never get above 60 anyway.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
believe its 3% per 1000 ft

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
i know when stock car racers come from florida to saskatchewan we give them a 1 second lead

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Originally posted by nathanw24
[br]i know when stock car racers come from florida to saskatchewan we give them a 1 second lead
since when do stock car racers not know how to tune for altitude?

·
Registered
351 Posts
If you feel like you are going to have issues buy some new jetts! I know here in Idaho Falls they are only $4.25 a piece and dont take long to change out! I hope you are not planning taking your sled in though cause they dont allow most or any? two strokes in the park any more. But there is good riding south of West Yellowstone at Island Park and alot of trails to be ridin!! Was up there last week and they had 2/5ft and it has been snowing off and on all week! Pretty cheap to ride $22.50 for your registration and off you go![:D]

·
Registered
4,016 Posts
Originally posted by sledhead_2002
[br]believe its 3% per 1000 ft
That is the general concensus (sp?). Whether that number is the end-all answer isn't certain. Nobody really KNOWS how much power is lost at elevation.

But just think, using the method above, the same sled that makes 140 HP at sea level makes 98 HP at 10,000 feet. And we flatlanders wonder why most mountain riders have modded out machines.[B)]

·
Registered
351 Posts
But just think, using the method above, the same sled that makes 140 HP at sea level makes 98 HP at 10,000 feet. And we flatlanders wonder why most mountain riders have modded out machines.[B)]
[/quote]

But dont you think the factory adjust the mountain sleds to perform where they are ment to be taken? I have alot of mods on my sled but that is so I can keep up with the new ones coming out (and because I bought it with the mods)![;)]

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
re-clutch and re-gear. don't worry about it to much just watch your plugs to see if your running to light or to rich.

·
Registered
4,016 Posts
Originally posted by BigJohnson
But dont you think the factory adjust the mountain sleds to perform where they are ment to be taken? I have alot of mods on my sled but that is so I can keep up with the new ones coming out (and because I bought it with the mods)![;)]
Of course they adjust the sleds to perform at altitude, but it doesn't matter how much they adjust them, they still can't make as much HP at 10,000 ft. as they can at sea level.

·
Registered
586 Posts
does anybody have that chart showing plug color compared to if its running to rich or lean?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts