Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really need to upgrade my trailer. I just have an old steel tilt bed right now, but I really want an enclosed trailer. Anyway, I wanted to get a large enclosed trailer like a 8x16 or so. I was just curious how many of you guys have them and how you like them. How well do they haul? Do they get stuck easily? I'd like to haul at least 2 sleds at a time, possibly more like when I go to vintage shows and want to take several and I'd like some summer storage. I've been doing some looking and I could probably get a decent used one for about the same as a good 2-place covered tilt bed. Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
11,279 Posts
This spring I bought a 7'x27' enclosed V nose,a little bigger then you probably want but it hauls 4 sleds pretty easy. I got a inline trailer because it is lower making it more stable and pull easier from less wind resistance. The big reason I bought mine was for summer storage,4 sleds take up alot of room in the shop to be keeping them in there year round. You can get a 4 place for not much more then a similar 2 place,remember you can use it to store more then just sleds. Mine pulls pretty easy but I would recommend a 3/4ton for longer trips,with a strong side wind it will pull you around a little and kills your fuel mileage.

2010325111530565_1554.jpg

2010325111553705_1554.jpg

2010325111620865_1554.jpg

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
^thats beautiful, Im looking at one like that...2 sleds and 2 quads that would be very nice.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
first decide if you want to have a drive through or not, second decide how big of a trailor your vehicle can take, a 5th wheel trailor would pull much nicer then a standard hitch trailor you can get a pretty good size 5th wheel enclosed trailor for decent prices, and if your sleds have reverse you do not need drive through. im looking to build my next trailor again and this time im going to make it a 5th wheel.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
We have a 8x32 6-place
it's nice to have, but it's big, and pulls pretty heavy.
it's not bad behind the duramax 1 ton, but I don't think I would pull it with much else.
I've pulled it with my suburban, but not loaded with sleds.

2010422141745705_3276.jpg
2010422141749377_3276.jpg
2010422141752423_3276.jpg
2010422141756408_3276.jpg

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
my dads
2010112212549717_29105.jpg

with that truck you never notice it. only when were on the north shore and there is a stiff breeze comming off the lake, you can tell its getting pushed. weve never been stuck with that one. 5 place FYI

Attachments

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have a half ton Chevy with a 5.7L and a 1990 Ford with the old 7.3L diesel so I'm not too concerned about a tow vehicle. I was thinking about something I could put at least two full sized sleds in and about four of my vintage sleds in, but I don't want a monster! I'd like to get a drive through since only my old Merc has reverse. I don't have a ton of money to spend (got to start saving my pennies!) and I won't be buying right away, but I'd like some input so I can start looking. My uncle says to stay away from these because they can get stuck easily. Have any of you guys ever gotten one stuck?

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
never. how and where is your uncle going that he gets them stuck? its the sleds that go on the trail not the trailer [thumb]

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
He has a regular covered two place, but he has been riding since sleds had leaf springs and folks pulled open top trailers with station wagons, so he may have seen some get stuck. We also had a trailer like this get stuck on a trip we took last year which cut into riding time. I've pulled a 16ft stock trailer through a blizzard with my 1/2 ton Chevy before without a problem, so I bet I could wrestle one of these around easy enough. I see the worry though, a sizable trailer like that could be troublesome in tight spaces or on unplowed roads.

·
Registered
434 Posts
I have had this trailer which is for sale in the classifieds cheap

for 6 years and it always worked great but now i am getting a 8.5x25 so i have a bit more room.
I agree that an enclosed is the way to go.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
^^^That would be about what I want right there. That's a bit of a trek for me though. I have a friend who has an identical one, but his doesn't have front doors. His also has a hydraulic cylinder on the front so he can tip it back, pretty nifty. How many full sized newer sleds can you fit in it? Inside height?

·
Registered
844 Posts
Just bought an enclosed about a month ago.
These things aren't necessarily cheap!!! As you are also from Michigan,you are
aware of the effects of the road salt on steel and should consider an ALL aluminum
trailer if you plan on keeping it for any length of time.

·
Registered
434 Posts
TheFastMan said:
^^^That would be about what I want right there. That's a bit of a trek for me though. I have a friend who has an identical one, but his doesn't have front doors. His also has a hydraulic cylinder on the front so he can tip it back, pretty nifty. How many full sized newer sleds can you fit in it? Inside height?
its 18 feet long 86 inches wide and 4 foot 5 inches high inside i have only had 1 newer sled in it but i had 3 vintage in there at the same time.

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
Mine, 06 Floe 14' Protektor, gull wing, drive in drive out. You can get three sleds in it, two long tracks and a shorty, it wont fit three long tracks though. And where the hell is your uncle driving to get stuck with a snowmobile trailer? What is he pulled the trailer with a car?

200984194741450_3462.jpg

200984194634809_3462.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I honestly don't know. He pulls his two place with a 3/4ton Chevy with a 6.0L. Like I mentioned above, on a trip we took one of our buddies got his enclosed stuck while trying to turn around. I think on some trips he takes he goes into more secluded areas or something. I'm pretty convinced now that I'm going to get one. I like The_Trucker's trailer. Seems just like the size I'd want; not too long, and not super tall. I found one just like that for sale not too far from me for the same money, too. Too bad I'm not ready to buy now.[:(]

·
Registered
5,011 Posts
the_hog said:
Mine, 06 Floe 14' Protektor, gull wing, drive in drive out. You can get three sleds in it, two long tracks and a shorty, it wont fit three long tracks though. And where the hell is your uncle driving to get stuck with a snowmobile trailer? What is he pulled the trailer with a car?

200984194741450_3462.jpg

200984194634809_3462.jpg
Now that's a perfect trailer...my 4 place automatically makes it so I have to drive on long trips. With that you could at least lighten your load[:D]
Sorry but I can't stand having 4 grown men with 4 duffle bags in my vehicle for hours at a time. Especially when I'm trying to drive through a blizzard.

Not that it's in the budget this year but outta curiosity what's that setup go for new Hog??

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
My dad has a 22 foot floe like the hogs. It was just under $10000 a couple years ago. If i were to buy one it would be a taller one with a ramp door. Dragging the ramp around is a pain in the ass.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts