Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a great single 5x 10 I built about 10 years ago. We have more than enough doubles in our group if we do long trips so not motivated to sell it.
Looking for ideas to enclose it and keep the wieght down.
Idea for getting aluminum panels? I'm picturing I'm making a skeliton to rivet the panels too.
Looing for the nice corners and trim pieces, It is currently a tilt and would like to keep that.
Thoughts?

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
Yeah, make a skeleton frame that hinges at the front and the back so you can get to both ends of the machine and still use the tilt function of the trailer.

I see an ad every week in the local "shopper" paper for sheets of aluminum that would work perfect for your project. 49" x 63" if I remember right. 63" is slightly more than 5 feet. You could either trim the pieces or make your cap 63" wide. I will try to find the phone number for those sheets for you.

I think you will want to make your skeleton out of aluminum and use aluminum rivets or zinc plated bolts. Putting steel next to aluminum in salty wet environments will cause galvanic corrosion and rust the steel faster than normal.

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
we used to have a trailer, and we went to a local metal shop and they made us aluminum studs for it. then we screwed wood onto it. it worked great cause the sides were removable. ya just check out a local metal shop, sometimes they can be light and cheap

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.