Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my 97 zrt600 doesn't engage until 5k rpms and when it does there is quite a jerk. What should I do to lower it? What is a good engagement speed for a 600 triple?

·
Registered
637 Posts
The 600zrt's are a short stroke motor.. you don't want it to engange under 5k.. they don't make power down there, and it would probably bog..

·
Registered
312 Posts
Well i have a 97 t-cat and mostly all my buddies rid cats as well , and a coulpe of em have that machine along with a couple 98's but still , one of them had his machine set up that way with a brown clutch spring and green secondary and the thing was clutching at 5K,, and the jerk it would give on takeoff was crazzy ,, SURE the sled would take off like crazzy and when it was pinned , the ski's were always off the ground and in no time , his cluth was shattered ,, it gives alot of strain on the cluth ,, take a look and at the botom of your clutch ,, if you see little cracks ,,, keep a eye on it ,,,, don't let them get longer then 2 inches ,, if so ,, i'd change the cluth before she let's go on you.
And if i were you ,, i'd do like my buddy ,, get your cam's, ramps and geraing worked on a bit ,, purple spring in the clutch and 4K will be enough.
And at the same time , it will be way better for the durability of your cluth, plus in the trails , it'll be a hell of a lot more smoother

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The two springs in there now are both yellow. I just talked to a parts place and I described the problem, He recommended I order a 4k spring. Now, I apologize for my ignorance, but will I get 1 spring or two with it? Can I keep the yellow spring on the secondary and tone down the clutch one?

You are right, once I get going it is ok, but at take off....I almost fall off! It's great in the fields, but manuvering around trees is a bit of a problem.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Your primary spring is what controls your engagement..

Yes, you can leave your secondary as is, and just change the primary spring..

·
Registered
637 Posts
Here's the stock settings.. 96&97 Zrt600

Primary..
Spring - Yellow
Weights - 54g
Shims - 3pcs
Secondary
Spring - Yellow
Helix - 55*
Setting - 3rd Hole

·
Registered
312 Posts
see,, just like i said ,,, and the spring you'll need to bring it to 4K is the purple one ,, and yes you can leave your yellow one in there ,wich i think is 110lbs ,, or close to that and no ,, if you you want your machine to clutch lower , or higher , you only need to change ONE spring ,, not 2,, and my buddy's set up for his 600 wich goes like lightning has is 54.6 weights , Primary spring , Puprle , Yellow secondary and 58* helix

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
650 Indy, where did you find that info? I've looked around the web and struck out. Thanks for your help guys. Very Helpful.

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
It should engage at 4300 to 4400k, the same as my 1996 ZRT 600, if it engages any lower it will bog a lot, there will be very little bottom end, that was one problem with my ZRT last winter.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
zrt, are you using the stock clutch springs or the purple one?

also 650Indy, can you check your buddy's manual to see if there is a drain plug somewhere on the bottom of the engine? I can't seem to locate it, but there should be one.

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
I think I have Red in the Secondary, and Yellow in the Primary.

·
Registered
777 Posts
http://www.brownsleisureworld.com

put this in your favorites,
go to on line parts.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I got the purple spring, installed it, and there is 100% NO DIFFERENCE!!! Does it normally take a little while to break in? Did I miss a component?

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
your wieghts might have a notch in them to hold it to that rpm then snap, get smooth wieghts and it will feather better

1 - 15 of 15 Posts