Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I might be getting a chance on getting a 1966 mercury park lane....well if i do get it i think the engine is got blow by... like when it was idleing with the hood up there was no problem but when my father hit the gas there was exhaust smoke coming up through the engine oil filler so i was wondering is there a way that i could cure this i was told some oil with a degergent in it [?]

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
I don't know how that could help anything, because most motor oils that are used in Automobiles already contain many additives and detergents to help maintain engine cleanliness and prevent sludge build-up, which your oil filter then seperates from the rest of the oil, among other things.

Maybe you've got sticky rings that could cause blow by, but how to fix that, i'm not sure. Carbon build up would cause that, so maybe a few good runs at WOT will help clear some of it up. Some people, especially the elderly, drive thier vehicles with a very light foot, meaning they never hit the gas hard and carbon builds up engine components. This can drastically reduce the performance of the engine, so if the vehicle was babied i would go out on the road and hold the gas pedal to the floor for awhile......or again and again and again.....until your big happy smile subsides. :)

I believe oils such as straight SAE 30 weight do not contain detergents, but you should not be running that in your car anyway.

Just some ideas...

·
Registered
4,322 Posts
a good product to ise in old motor to clear out carbon is called SeaFoam. take off the air cleaner, and dump half a bottle down the carb it will die and need to be restarted a few times, but man oh man does it eat out ANY carbon build up in the motor. Ive used it on quite a few motors with nothing but good results.

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
I agree. You can also dump SeaFoam into your gas tank as well as in the oil. You just have to change the oil fairly soon, that's all. Amazingly versatile product.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts