Discussion Starter #1
Thought this was interesting:

www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

1997 XLT SP 600
"Engage the Mechanism"

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Interesting... I didn't have time to read the whole thing but I got the jist of it.

[red]GO HARD, OR GO HOME - THEY MAKE NEW ONES EVERY DAY[/size=2][/red]

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
My old man used to say the same thing with all the two stroke bikes we owned, break it in like you ride it.. So that's exactly what I've done on every bike and sled I have owned. Never had one motor seize, expcept a blaster engine that the oil pump went out on! Anyway what the guy in that article says makes sense to me, but to each his own.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Thanx for passing along the info! this is important stuff I've heard both sides of the argument in the garage after rebuilds , now I finally have the ammo to fire back.RUN IT LIKE YOU STOLED IT!!!

·
Registered
146 Posts
After reading that article, I can see the point. However don't get out of control and run it too rough if you know what I mean.

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, I was thinking this as well. Also the article is specific to 4strokers. I wonder if the same methodology applies for 2strokes as well. I'd also like to know how long (either time or distance wise) your suppose to go for each of the "runs" he speaks of.

1997 XLT SP 600
"Engage the Mechanism"

·
Registered
322 Posts
I think it probly would because honestly it seems like it could. My uncle's '00 ZR 600 EFI last year did somethin real funny on him when the style of riding changed which is kind of what someone said why they break in something how they ride. He broke it in, and always has and will ride it hard and fast right? He let his daughters ride it around the yard for about 3 days last Christmas break while he was gone. They were just going real slow around and putting around and all that, just doing what they wanted to have fun. When he came back up for the weekend to ride, the thing didn't want to run right...burned a lot of oil, fouled a lot of plugs...all that. In the end he had to end up buying a new computer for it.

I may be young, but I ain't dumb!!! (I might seem like it, but I'm not. Anyways I don't think so.)
The Sled I Ride
2002 MX Z 800 X Yellow/Black

·
Registered
671 Posts
glad ya passed that along tifin, ill remeebr that the next time i rebuild my xlt. LAst time i kept it easy, but i do see the pooint why u run it hard now, never thout of it that way.

Ride it like you stole it!

·
Registered
837 Posts
i think this theory is true for 4 stokes and thats how i broke my car motor in when i rebuilt but for 2 strokes it is a little different, sbt the company that rebuilds jetski motor has a good way to do it and thats what i follow, and its is a little diffenet then the manufactures suggest and it takes less time, take a look http://www.sbtontheweb.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=33;t=000002

·
Registered
502 Posts
never had a problem with any sled we've ever had. We uncrate it, put about a 80:1 or maybe a little stronger gas/oil mix in it and go for about a 5 mile ride nice and slow like we are doing proper break-in then after that 5 miles it's WIDE open. I guess I don't believe all the hype on break in. Give it a little run to get all teh parts set and then go, everything will find "home"

I don't use the brakes until I see God, and I am never wrong. I thought I was wrong once, but I was mistaken.
http://www.whiteknuckleperformance.com

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
Mattgross: that's a pretty cool website with alot of info. I personally liked the cut away view of the engine operating:

http://www.sbtontheweb.com/indexanim.htm

1 - 11 of 11 Posts