Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I am wondering what the compatability of engines is on older AC. I have a 1973 AC Panther 440 and I am wondering if a 1970-75 engine of the same size will work with all the connections. It has electric start ,speedomometer, rpm gauge

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
All the kawasaki engines of the 399/440 size use the same base. They will bolt right in. The 399 and the 440 have the same stroke, the bore is the difference. You can change the cylinders and pistons to make them work.

Just check that the engine has the mounting hole for the starter and that it has the ring gear too. If not, you can swap the parts needed from the original engine.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I did a motor swap last summer on a '73 Cheetah. It had a bad 440 Kawi in it, and a buddy gave me a '75 Panther 440 Kawi. The only difference between the two was the wiring harness. I had to chop off the harness coming off the '73, and splice the '75 wires into it. Everything else bolted right in. Keep in mind these were both Kawi engines- If youre going from a JLO to a Kohler, or Sachs to a Kawi, I'm not sure if it would be as easy. Let us know, and good luck! ARCTIC
P.S. The speedo cable should not be a prob as it is independent from any engine wiring.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts