Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 99 XC700 XC SP. When I run it wide open on the flats for a while and it reaches the top end in speed (~100 mph), sometimes, the engine just shuts off completely and the sled comes to a stop. I can then restart it but it runs (idles) poorly for a long time after that. Does this machine have a rev limiter or an engine cutout of some sort?
Thanks for the response.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
im not sure about that sled but a friend of mine bought a 99 cat 440 sno-pro it was doing the same thing he would get to 100 and it would die right out except his motor would stay running..he brought it to the dealer and they did something to it and the damn thing would get over 100 easily..Im sure
someone else on here will know more about it,
and if not call your dealer and see what they say

·
Registered
8,108 Posts
Check your plugs after it happens!!! If they arn't cardboard brown or darker, you might be needing a new set of pistons pretty soon! Sounds like a lean sieze to me. Does it tend to do it when it's colder out?

·
Registered
589 Posts
When you gas it after it starts back up, look at the temp gauge. My '02's have a auto timing retard when they overheat. This may be happpening, which will load up the plugs, and the engine may die. This would also explain the difficulty in starting.

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Yeah, maybe it is just over heating and it just shuts down...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts