Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, new to this forum and have a few questions

I got a sled, 97 Polaris indy 500 L/C that was rebuilt by a dealer. at 130 miles the engine over heated and melted a piston. When i pulled the head off I noticed the temp sensor was not pluged in so that would explain the temp light not comming on. Is there any known problems with this sled? any thing i should look for?

Also im going to rebuild it my self this time and need to know torque specs, and what the piston bore size is supposed to be. The dealer said they put in .20 over pistons. Thanks to anyone who can help.
Also no warrenty for me since it was a consignment sale and they couldnt transfer warrenty over

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Get a Clymer book first, has all you will need to know, and be sure to mark the stator plate when you take it apart. Be sure to split the case and check your bearings

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
usually thats a bullet proof sled,make sure the water pump is good,also make sure you get the air out of the system,check for air leaks ,also run some iso heat in the gas ,if you get water in you're gas can also cause a burn down

·
Registered
520 Posts
Did it melt the PTO side piston?
Take a look at the head gasket there is only 1 correct way to put it on!!! On the side near the waterpump there should be small holes on the clutch side there should be large holes. If the dealer put it on with the large holes near the waterpump this is what caused the overheat problem. A very common mistake! The water will flow out the waterpump into the Mag side of cylinder up into the head and out. The small holes force the water across the block to cool the PTO side then up into the head and out.. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I found the problem. The coolant hose that runs from the waterpump down the side of the engine rubbed through and leaked out the coolant while riding, and of course i never knew it cause the temp light sensor was not plugged in.

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
I have a 500 motor and hoses here in Michigan...You may be able to buy used cheaper than the rebuild

1 - 6 of 6 Posts