Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fuel shutoff valve not shut off last night.1997 Indy 500 carb/LC
ENGINE FULL OF GAS!
I removed the exhaust and dumped out all the fuel.
I removed the plugs and pulled till no gas shot out.
kitty litter everywhere...
Anyone know what to do next?
Thanks.
troy

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
clean your carbs, sounds like your fuel flow valve has some crap on the seat allowing fuel to run through the carbs and into your engine

·
Registered
187 Posts
you shouldn't always have to shut off the fuel valve unless you are parked facing down, or trailering. otherwise the needles and seats should do their job and prevent fuel entering the engine and causing the problem you had. i can say with certainty that you will need new needles and seats. here's the part #: VALVE ASM,NEEDLE 3130643.
this is a good time to clean the carbs as well! take them totally apart. you should take out all the jets and thoroughly clean them. if you can, get a torch tip cleaner and run it thru the jets. you should be able to see daylight thru the main and pilot jet when the bowl is off and it's up to a light, or if the jets are out of the carbs you should also be able to see light thru them. the floats should move up and down with no hesitation. the float arm should be level with the body of the carb when you replace the needles and seats. the needle and seat should hold about 2-5 psi with the bowl off the carb and with the carb upside down. spray some carb cleaner on the needle and seat to see air bubbles when you pressure test them. this will be a good indicator if they are leaking. do this test with a mightyvac tool used to bleed brakes.
so once the carbs are sparkly clean, mount them in the sled and set your chokes. easiest way to do this is to have the choke cables in their normal positions and set them into the carbs. they should have just a little spring tension before you feel the threads engage, then tighten the jam nuts and tighten the chokes in. now for the throttle position. you need about 1/8" of play in the throttle. with the carb tops installed, put your thumb from your left hand on the pto carb slide, and the middle finger of the same hand on the mag side carb slide. you should feel the carb slides go up at the same time, in synchronization after you take up the 1/8" slack in the throttle. this is set with the adjustment in the cable on top of the carb. after that is set, you have to make sure the oil pump lever moves at the exact same time as the slides. the lines on the oil pump lever and casing should line up as well. start the machine and using a carb sync gage(vacuum gage) set the idle to 2000 +/- 200 rpm. the sync gage will ensure the carbs are sucking the same volume of air at idle. you basically put it up to the throat of the carb and it has a float that moves up. set this at the same height for each side. same thing can be accomplished with mercury gages as well. the manuals also say you can use a drill bit method, but i've never liked that one personally. this tuning will ensure crisp throttle response from your sled!! let me know how it goes. if you need any more advice, please ask. -Polaris Doc

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
yep been several polaris around here ,that has done that 1 a 96 xlt with only 450 miles ,2 an indy 500 97 like your's with only 850 miles on it besides several other ones ,just like Polaris Doc says need new needles and seats ,only way to fix those sleds

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
you may not need to buy new ones, take the carbs apart and see if there is crap in them (needle and seat), if so there you go. Look at them and test them if they work there you go, give the carb a complete clean and try it, you should be fine. Also check the floats

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
you may not need to buy new ones, take the carbs apart and see if there is crap in them (needle and seat), if so there you go. Look at them and test them if they work there you go, give the carb a complete clean and try it, you should be fine. Also check the floats

·
Registered
159 Posts
Happens to my 98 all the time, just a little piece of crap will get in the seat, and hang up the needle. I have never had to replace one, just clean mine out. Good luck

1 - 8 of 8 Posts