Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. I have a problem I was hoping someone out there could help me with. I have a 95 summit (583). When it was put away last year, it ran fine. This machine belongs to a buddy of mine. During the summer, he went into the shop and noticed that there was a puddle of gas under it. When we first fired it up, it would idle fine for a few seconds, then start reving up. The throttle is not sticking and we cleaned the carbs. Neither of these seem to be the problem and it still continues to do this. Last night I tried it and I had to ride the kill switch since it would rev to about 7K. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Look for a vacuum leak ,Maybe crank seals ,althoug though that is alot of rpms . Make sure the throttle is not sticking .

·
Registered
4,322 Posts
yeah ide check for a cracked impulse line,crank seals, head gaskets and the carb boots. from the way you explained it there is a definate air leak somewhere

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
Guarenteed air leak...but i personally say the carbs are sticking open. If you have an air leak big enough to get to 7,000 rpms the mixture would be sooo lean the engine would not run or else it would melt down in a hurry. Check the carbs and throttle cables to be sure they are adjusted properly.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys, hopefully I'll get a chance to look at it during christmas and will post back when I find out what is causing this

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
I would check the throttle cable.
I mistakenly had mine out of place and the motor would rev to 4500.
Took out the airbox and made sure routing was right and it came right back to a 800 rpm idle.

My $.02

·
Registered
671 Posts
Originally posted by 2000TCMC
[br]I would check the throttle cable.
I mistakenly had mine out of place and the motor would rev to 4500.
Took out the airbox and made sure routing was right and it came right back to a 800 rpm idle.

My $.02
thats exaclty what mine did this year, my carbs wernt sinked, i synked em and ran perfect, i tohuth it was a seal but i checked em and it wasnt and that was my prob was the carbs

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I thought I would just post back to let everyone know what happened. It Was a stuck throttle cable. I should have looked closer. Good thing though, cause I caught a frayed oil cable. All seems well now. Thanks to all those who replied.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts