Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ive been reading some old topics about epi clutching. in a few cases members have said that the epi pro kit will effect my engine life. is this true. is there anything i should keep an eye out for?

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
EPI guarantees the accuracy of each weight to ensure that the clutch is accurately balanced... so I severely doubt it ... but on the other hand, ANY clutch kit can reduce engine life because a higher clutch engagement has more initial shock and and stress on the PTO end of the crankshaft which can prematurely wear out bearings... also there may be a higher operating rpm which has more engine stress and could cause early failure. So you see there are many variables to consider... and to make a claim like EPI kits cause your engine to fail is totally unfounded.

·
Registered
15,722 Posts
Anything you do can shorten engine life. Especially if it turns more rpms than it did stock.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
so in any case how many "more" rpms am i going to be turning with this pro kit. remember i didn't buy this kit for doing wheelies and getting to my max speed faster, i just wanted better trail performance.

·
Registered
15,722 Posts
I don't know. You will have to put kit on and find out. Then you can add alittle more weight to bring it down if needed.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well im hoping to use it this weekend, since the forcast is calling for snow. i will up date this post once i find out for sure

·
Registered
430 Posts
You should not go up any RPMs with any clutch kit by it's self. No need as your stock motor will only make HP at a certain RPM, no more. A good clutch kit will load the motor resulting in better performance. This will shorten the life of the motor but so will starting it??! Clutching when done correctly is the least of your worries!

·
Registered
15,722 Posts
Some kits do increase max rpm's over stock.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
if i remember correctly the EPI pro kit i just installed mentioned something about bringing up peek performace rpm. ill look when i go home tomorrow. im sure it said 8500rpm, and if i want to raise it more i place shims in behind the wrist clip of the secondary. this inturn would push the helix in further.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts