Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently fixed up my old moto-ski mirage II that has been sitting in the garage for a couple of years. I took the carbs off and cleaned them out. I drained the old fuel and put new fuel in. Finally I put new spark plugs in. After doing all that the engine started fairly easily, which I was very pleased about. At that point the temperature was above zero. Now (3 days later) the snow has come but the engine won't start. I thought I may have flooded it so I let it sit and tried again the next day without priming it... no go. I've since checked that the fuel pump works by unhooking my fuel line from the carb and pull starting it. fuel did pump out. I'm stumped.

The only thing I do notice is that there is s bubble in the fuel line and if I unhook the carbs and drain them, when I try starting it again the bubbles come up from the carburetor into the fuel line as it fill up. Is this normal. When I try starting it the bubble moves around and it seems there is fuel in the carb but its not going away. Not a lot of fuel seems to be going through the fuel line.

Any help would be fantastic.

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
well on a sled of this age need to probably put a in-line filter going to the carb,what happens is a film develops in side of every thing ,as you run this ,this film comes of and gets in the needles and seats ,plugs up the pilot jet ,and then will not start ,I have worked on mid 90's model sleds that although they have a filter ,(between tank and fuel pump) would clean carb ,put new gas in ,fire it up ride around the yard and then flood out ,so go do the same thing again ,then another croak out ,so started putting those filters between the fuel pump and carb ,problem solved

·
Registered
661 Posts
^^^ Great idea. Also to confirm the carbs need help, try dumping a small amount of gas in the cylinder from the plug holes & see if it fires up. If it does & dies quickly then your carbs need cleaned / fixed.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the help. I'll give that a try. Just to clarify your saying I should just put another fuel filter in between the fuel pump and the carb? Should I be trying to take out and clean the fuel pump too?

Also, how can I tell if my needle and seat are shot?

Thanks

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
turn you're carb upside down ,place a piece of hose on the inlet and blow on it with your'e mouth ,should hold pressure do this all the time and 99% of the time works and unless you are fameliar working on those pesky little pumps would'nt mess with it a 2. 50 inline filter is cheaper

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for your help. It's up and running now. After cleaning the carb again and putting in the fuel filter shw still wasn't running. It turns out my problem was the kill switch is sticky and while it looked fine it wasn't fully out. Go figure! Now that it's all cleaned up she's starting like new!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts