Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I have a '91 skidoo safari. (ya i know it sucks) well anyway, i was on the trail 3 weeks ago and I lost a cylinder. turns out it was a throtle cable. I sen't that in and got it fixed. 2 weekends of riding later, i lose another. I think I blew a whole in the piston... Now heres the question: (take in mind I don't know much about engines) Is it possible that fixing the throtle cable could have any effect on this happening only with only 15 hours of riding since? Could the gas oil mixture be set wrong and could it have over heated?
The piston that blew was, when you sitting on the sled, the left. (see what I mean...not sure with is mag or pto) If that makes any difference...

Since the throtle cable and a bunch of other things was 490$ I want to make this there fault.

Is $450 a good deal for the piston??

Any replys are greatly appreciated.
thanks

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
yes yes and yes.... Could be a lot of factors that caused a melt down. Pull the plug on the cylinder you suspect. Stick your them or other finger in the hole and have someone pull it over. See if it is getting compression. Crude Compression test.

·
Registered
46 Posts
First things first, the side of the engine to which the clutch is mounted is the PTO side. The opposite side will have the recoil and magneto, thus Mag side. Does the sled have one or two carbs? Chances are that the problem is not with the throttle cable adjustment. Even if the oil mixture was set incorrectly it would not burn a hole in the piston. Holes in pistons are from to lean a mixture (air-fuel) or a spark plug that is to hot. The one thing that they could have screwed up be the needle valve. With Mikuni round slides the slides must be removed to replace the cable. If the shop raised the clip thus lowering the needle and leaning out the mixture this could burn a piston. One question, at what throttle position did the piston melt. If it was at WOT it would be main jet related, if it was in the midrange it could be the needle jet.

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
to sled dog - ya man i tryed that and has NO compression...thanks.

To XLR - it was at about 3/4 going around a clow corner. It was first thing in the morning and I just brought it down to the lake and opened it up, i did WOT for about 10 min, then slowed down to about 1/2, 3/4 when she went... and it has 2 carbs.

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Also...funy thing is that buddies sled went an hour later...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts