Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello - I am in the process of learning how to rebuild my wife's Yahama ss440 - 1982. I have new pistons and rings on the way and the cylinders have been bored .20 over and the pistons ordered to match. The 2 questions I have are...
1. Is there supposed to be oil in the bottom of the crank case where the crank sits. There was a little in there when I took the top end off. I have been told Yes and No by different people. If it needs oil there - any idea how much? I can't find a manual on this machine.
2. How do I determine if the oil injector is working properly? Would I be better off just mixing the oil and gas and disconnecting the injector. How would one go about disabling the injector.

Thnaks for any assistance.

·
Registered
5,400 Posts
You should put some oil down there for start up. Just a nice thin coat over the crank is enough though.

For the oil injection there should be hoses coming off the injection pump and going into the intake, when you have the engine assembled you'll need to prime the system or get the air out of the system. At that time you'll have to pull the engine over a lot to get the injection system primed, but the oild should be visible coming out of the ports. That's how you know it working.

·
Registered
764 Posts
personally i just use a ton of assembly grease made for rebuilding motors instead of oil cause it lubes everything better, its made especially for rebuilding engines.

And ya just make sure u prime the injection pump, have someone help u and get down close to make sure oil is going into the ports.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys - when you say oil coming out of the ports - do you mean the intake port on the cylinder. I am weak with the terms. Would I leave the head off and watch for the oil?
Thanks for the assist - I hope all goes well. It is a good little sled and has served us well - hate to replace it.

·
Registered
5,400 Posts
There should be bronzed colored spigots in the intake ports, and the oil should flow out of them when the system is primed.

·
Registered
841 Posts
As for the pump......Once you have the system primed and ready to go, you still should verify that the pump is working. The first fuel tank fillup should be gas/oil mixture (40/1). Mark the oil level in the resovoir with a felt pen, piece of tape, whatever. Make sure the oil pump is set on the proper markings.
If the pump doesn't work, the engine is still safe because you premixed. Now once you go for an hour ride, you should start seeing the oil level drop in the resovoir.
If the level drops, you know the pump is working. You can even get a close guess on the ration if you record the fuel and oil used at your next fill up.
Hope that all makes sense.......good luck[:)]

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Good advice. I will pre mix the gas on startup for at least one tank. I am guessing that over oil will not hurt anything. If the injector is working and the tank gas/oil mix will not mess anything up - that is the way I will proceed. I would guess the worst that could happen is that I will drown in an oil mix??

I have close to $400.00 in this top end rebuild - I sure hope it works.

Thanks for all your advice - it does really help.

·
Registered
510 Posts
did the shop that bored your cylinders have the pistons and rings on hand when they bored it or did you just tell them heres the cylinders bore them .020 over. from what you said sounds like thats what happened. you will probably be fine but the bore and honing should always be done with the pistons in hand as different manufacturers pistons can be slightly different sizes. your pistons could be too tight or too loose. im guessing you dont have any tools to check this so i would take the pistons to the shop that did the boring and have them check them.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I had the shop do the bore based on the piston size I ordered. I realized after the fact that I should have had them in hand when it was done. If I am too tight it will be OK - they can take another pass. I had the bore set to 67mm and ordered those pistons. It's getting harder to find parts for these older sleds. No tools for checking size but the shop is only a few miles away so once the pistons arrive I will run them over with the cylinders and have them take a peek. Still waiting on a ring compressor from a friend that does Jet Skis. Should not be too bad once I have everything ready to go. Hell - I built a car from the ground up and it still runs - this can't be all that bad (I hope).

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
OK - I found the brass injection tube - it is on the right side below the cylinder. That is the same side that blew out as well. If I put the piston on and the cylinder - I will not be able to see if oil is flowing and primed. I also noticed that there is not one (brass fitting) on the left side. Should I pull and pull before putting the piston and cylinder on to see if it is primed? Is there only one - it looks like the other 2 lines from the oil pump run into where the reeds (I think that is what they are called) just past the carb toward the engine side.
Thanks again - Pistons are in hand and I am starting this weekend. Seems that they are a good fit slide right in but don't wiggle too much. Much old gaskets and crap to clean up before assembly.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Originally posted by orlowted
[br]I had the shop do the bore based on the piston size I ordered. I realized after the fact that I should have had them in hand when it was done. If I am too tight it will be OK - they can take another pass. I had the bore set to 67mm and ordered those pistons. It's getting harder to find parts for these older sleds. No tools for checking size but the shop is only a few miles away so once the pistons arrive I will run them over with the cylinders and have them take a peek. Still waiting on a ring compressor from a friend that does Jet Skis. Should not be too bad once I have everything ready to go. Hell - I built a car from the ground up and it still runs - this can't be all that bad (I hope).

you dont need a ring compressor. thers no way to use one anyway you put the pistons on the rods and then slide the cylinder over the top.

·
Registered
815 Posts
your rings shound't be terribly loose[/size=4]

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
No - they are not too loose - just thinking of ME trying to put the jug on and hold the rigs at the same time. Guess it would be better with 2 people.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
OK - Thanks to all who offered advise. I got the engine assembled last night and everything back together. Fired up on the first pull and purs like a lion. Took it around the yard a few times and let it idol as well. It was 26 degrees last night so it didn't get too hot. Smoked a lot at first because of the oil I used to assemble but after 5 minutes it was clean. I did not use a ring compressor to install - managed to get it all together just using hands. Now all we need is some snow.
Thanks again!

·
Registered
849 Posts
Originally posted by orlowted
[br]OK - Thanks to all who offered advise. I got the engine assembled last night and everything back together. Fired up on the first pull and purs like a lion. Took it around the yard a few times and let it idol as well. It was 26 degrees last night so it didn't get too hot. Smoked a lot at first because of the oil I used to assemble but after 5 minutes it was clean. I did not use a ring compressor to install - managed to get it all together just using hands. Now all we need is some snow.
Thanks again!
Good to hear..break it in good too don't baby it much,
keep us posted when you get more miles on it...

what kinda oil you going to use???

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I think the oil is yamalube. I get it from the local Yamaha dealer - never did pay much attention. It is in a black gallon container?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts