Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need info, having a hard time figuring this one out.
Sled would not idle, removed carbs and cleaned them. They were spotless when I took them apart, no gunk to be found.
All parts seem to be stock sizes,(jets, needles,positions). Can get it started with the choke on half, then need to rev it to keep it going with choke off and warmed up. Removed air box, started it and can see vapors comming out of the clutch side carb when its running. At first I thought it was running on only one cylinder, but I can still get it to rev to almost 7G's. Synk'ed carbs like 3 times, removed belt and it would run longer at idle but still die. seems to load up and I need to pump the throtle to get it to rev up again. checked the compression and it was even on both cyl's at 120psi.
Any ideas???

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Nobody has any ideas [?] [?] [?] [?]

·
Registered
3,304 Posts
how old is the gas in the tank? was it treated before it was stored? how are the plugs? did you try new ones?

·
Registered
258 Posts
you could have dislodged a piece of something while cleaning them. Also I know you say that you have to keep it rev'd up to keep it running......what happens if you leave it at 1/2 choke? Does it run better or die out? I had a float that was hung up once. I tapped the bottom of the floats with the butt of a screwdriver and welllaaa it worked. I then took it apart and made sure evrything was good.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
new gas and new plugs. all though they are BR9's and not 8's

robosnow said:
you could have dislodged a piece of something while cleaning them. Also I know you say that you have to keep it rev'd up to keep it running......what happens if you leave it at 1/2 choke? Does it run better or die out? I had a float that was hung up once. I tapped the bottom of the floats with the butt of a screwdriver and welllaaa it worked. I then took it apart and made sure evrything was good.
Never left the choke on. I would start it on 1/2 choke then flip it off. It should die out right at 1/2 choke?

98700xc said:
Fuel pump????
how can it cause the vapors to come out of the carb?

·
Registered
258 Posts
yes...it should die out. Start it up and flip the choke and see if it runs any better. If it runs better you may have something hung up somewhere and need to take back apart. Im not a carb expert....but I have had this happen to me before as well where my sled would run only on 1/2 choke like I stated earlier.

71rdrnr said:

robosnow said:
Never left the choke on. I would start it on 1/2 choke then flip it off. It should die out right at 1/2 choke?

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank's I'll give that a try tomorrow night.

robosnow said:
yes...it should die out. Start it up and flip the choke and see if it runs any better. If it runs better you may have something hung up somewhere and need to take back apart. Im not a carb expert....but I have had this happen to me before as well where my sled would run only on 1/2 choke like I stated earlier.

71rdrnr said:

robosnow said:

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok, so I adjusted the choke cable. Looks like the motor was on 1/8th to 1/4 choke on the mag carb and 1/4 to 1/2 choke on the clutch carb when in the off position. so now it will idle fine but boggs when I give it throttle, If I flip the choke to 1/2 for a split second it will then rev up...

I think this means something in the primary jet. is that right or could there be something else???

·
Registered
149 Posts
sounds like your not getting enough fuel to the carbs..unless their still dirty..

is your pulser line good? (the line that runs off the motor, and to the fuel pump)...if that line is leaking or partially collasped, it could result in weak fuel pump oporation..

also, is your gas cap venting? try losenning the cap to see if it clears up?

what about your fuel filter? could it be getting plugged and not letting enough fuel through?

lastly, do you have a fuel/shut off valve (petcock), if so, is it fully on?

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I just re cleaned the carbs tonight and will try them tomorrow after work.
The pulser line maybe iffy, will replace it on friday along with putting a new kit into the fuel pump. gas cap was off, new fuel filters and lines and petcock is wide open.

fixerupper said:
sounds like your not getting enough fuel to the carbs..unless their still dirty..

is your pulser line good? (the line that runs off the motor, and to the fuel pump)...if that line is leaking or partially collasped, it could result in weak fuel pump oporation..

also, is your gas cap venting? try losenning the cap to see if it clears up?

what about your fuel filter? could it be getting plugged and not letting enough fuel through?

lastly, do you have a fuel/shut off valve (petcock), if so, is it fully on?

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I can't believe I had to clean those carbs 3 times and synk them over and over...blew out the carbs each time I cleaned them, but this last time blew something out of the inlet just above the float seat...anyhow it's now running good, and needs just a bit of fine tuning to get it dialed right in...
Thanks everybody for your help...thats why this site rocks...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts