Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at a truck that hs a 305(5.0L) in it. I really like the truck bt I want a 350(5.7L). The truck is a TBI(Throttle Body Injected) 305 with automatic trans. I want to convert it to a 350 carburated with a 350 turbo automatic transmission. Anyone know anything about doing anything like? Will the 350 bolt right in? Biggest part will be getting rid of the wiring for the TBI which I really don't like the idea of doing cause I have no idea what that computer could be controlling(see I hate computers in cars). Think needs a lift bad and I am serious cause the front leaf springs are frowning right now aka sagging to where there is about 1" of crap travel in them. Truck is an 87 4wd by the way. If anyone knows anything about the trans lengths and whether it would need new drive shafts that would be of great help too. If I get it I will talk to my dad and a mechanic friend of his to see what they think of it.

Edited by - Sled_Dog on March 06 2002 2:54:14 PM

·
Registered
529 Posts
The 350 will bolt right in. I don't think the computer really controls much besides the TBI. The tranny on the other hand might be different. Measure the length of the case to see if it is the same length. The transfer case should bolt up to any 4WD tranny. If it has the 400R4 4 speed automatic I would keep that in it. You will see a big difference in the gas mileage if you go with the turbo 350.

'00' 500 XC SP

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think if I get it I will put a 4" lift on it and run the 305 for a little while. Save some money get like rockers headers maybe heads new carb stuff like that then have a mechanic drop in the 350 for me.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Sled_Dog. I can understand why you would want to change out the 305 for a 350... Many people thought that the 305 was a bit short on power. My question is why would you want to remove the TBI or any fuel injection system at all??? Fuel injection of any kind is better than a carb. Wouldn't in be better to swap in a 350 with TBI? Also I had a Buddy that swapped out his 305 TBI in his 91 Chevy with a 350 TBI of the same year. It bolted right in.

I think its Snowing!!
1999 Polaris XCR 440

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>Originally posted by Bigfish:

Sled_Dog. I can understand why you would want to change out the 305 for a 350... Many people thought that the 305 was a bit short on power. My question is why would you want to remove the TBI or any fuel injection system at all??? Fuel injection of any kind is better than a carb. Wouldn't in be better to swap in a 350 with TBI? Also I had a Buddy that swapped out his 305 TBI in his 91 Chevy with a 350 TBI of the same year. It bolted right in.

I think its Snowing!!
1999 Polaris XCR 440[/quote]

I totally agree here sled dog. EFI rules!

2002 Arctic Cat ZR 800 EFI

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I wanted to do it because I hate 305s and every person I know agrees they are just crap engines compared to the 350. I have 2 extra 350s sitting in my garage that are carburated. The costs of getting a TBI system just wouldn't appeal to me. Besides I hate wires and computers in cars :). I really don't like lifting the hood and seeing a bunch of crap there. Anyway doesn't matter I am getting a different truck that has a 350 carbed in it stock.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
hey sled dog, dont be afraid of tbi, in that year of truck they are very simple, as for the computer, it only controls a few things, and alot easier to diagnos troubles if your vehicle has a computer in it, you can buy a chilton manual and it will tell you how t pull the fault codes out of the computer using the diag connector......very simple!

1993 xlt sp 580
xtra 10 suspension

1 - 7 of 7 Posts