Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 500 engine blew up last week in my 93 classic. I have my eye on a 97 XLT (evolved chassis) with low miles (2200) and the updated bottom end. What would be involved in swapping?. Do I have to modify the 500 motor plate or can I use the XLT straps? By the looks of it the swap should be quite simple. By the way, The 500 isnt rebuilding and I can pick up the XLT for quite cheap. I'd rather keep my wedge chassis because it has a 136 xtra10, xcr wide front end and nicer to look at then the ugly Teal evolved chassis. Any help on the swap would be appreciated.
Thanx

·
Registered
257 Posts
i didn't do the swap but i bought a 91 indy 400 fframe with a 98 xlt motor in it and they used the xlt mounts. looks like it prettymuch bolted right in for the most part. i did notice that on the clutch side closest to the seat there is an exxtra mount to keep the motor from twisting i believe. if you can get the whole chassis drill the rivetsout measure and drill holes and rivet the mount into the wedge chassis. i'm gonna try to get some pics up of mine this week yet if you have any questions or want extra pics of something just pm me and i'll try to get them for you

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply Black, Can anyone else confirm if its a simple swap?. By the looks of the bulkheads i'll have to use the 500 motor plate and modify it for the triple.

·
Registered
21 Posts
dauber said:
Thanks but i already have the xlt, just trying to get some tips on the swap.
You may need to change the steering, from left side to right, thats the only difference ive seen, where the tie rods hook to the shaft in front of the motor.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts