Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did a seach on this I find it hard to beleive I coundn't find this. Has anyone ever put 97 storm 800 engine into a 96 ultra? Could this be done? Let me know what you think or have ran into while doing this[8D]

·
Registered
666 Posts
Why when you could just put pipes on the 96 ultra and have a lighter, more powerful, and more reliable sled...

·
Registered
666 Posts
oh, I see, should have said that... Yeah, not sure on the motor mounts, but I can tell you that it will fit in there and should do so relatively easy.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Been there and done the swap, Its more pain then its worth IMO. you have to use the motor mounts off the sled that you putting the storm into. then you will have to make 1" blocks to lift the motor up so the steering shaft clears. then you will have to cut the exhaust manifolds and change the angles on them to get the pipes to fit. It gets super crammed in there. This is what mine looked like when we got done doing it.
20101222483377_30620.jpg
Its alot of work.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
sTOrMy96 said:
Been there and done the swap, Its more pain then its worth IMO. you have to use the motor mounts off the sled that you putting the storm into. then you will have to make 1" blocks to lift the motor up so the steering shaft clears. then you will have to cut the exhaust manifolds and change the angles on them to get the pipes to fit. It gets super crammed in there. This is what mine looked like when we got done doing it.
20101222483377_30620.jpg
Its alot of work.
how much time do think ou put into this about

skidoo600racer said:
well go on my profile and then go under freinds and he is im my friend list
[8D]Thanks looked him up and sent him a message

·
Registered
411 Posts
I did this exact conversion. I still have the custom motor plate we built if your interested in it. I'm not sure if stock pipes would work with it but I ran PSI modblasters on mine and they fit great with a little clearancing of the hood. Let me know.

·
Registered
411 Posts
sTOrMy96 said:
time wise..... to much.. proly over 20 hours
I don't know if I would say that. Most of the time is spent trying to get the motor lined up and set in there right. With the plate that I have all the hard work is already done. It was a very fast sled and well worth the time. Just my .02

·
Registered
9,987 Posts
With a pre-fab plate, this should be almost a drop-in job...

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Ugly_old_Poo_kid said:
With a pre-fab plate, this should be almost a drop-in job...
That's IF the pipes fit. If they don't you have some cutting and welding to do.

·
Registered
244 Posts
you also have to consider, is 20+ hours really that bad? It is the off season and sounds like a fun job

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
TylerC said:
you also have to consider, is 20+ hours really that bad? It is the off season and sounds like a fun job
Im thinking next with the hoilday It should work out only time will tell

yellowstorm800 said:
I did this exact conversion. I still have the custom motor plate we built if your interested in it. I'm not sure if stock pipes would work with it but I ran PSI modblasters on mine and they fit great with a little clearancing of the hood. Let me know.
Do you have a extra one?

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
here is what i had to do to get the ultra to fit, Mounts also work on the storm motor.
use you stock mounts that come with the sled.
you will have to make two riser blocks out of aluminum to get the motor to clear your steering arms. then the holes on one of the mounts has to get made into ovals so the straps will sit on the motor mounts. you will have to check alignment with clutches and play around with what mount you have to do work on. on mine it was the mag side strap.
here are the pics and good luck with the project![thumb]
2010831182919748_30620.jpg

2010831182931529_30620.jpg

2010831182945310_30620.jpg

2010831182957341_30620.jpg

2010831183031810_30620.jpg

2010831183043888_30620.jpg

Attachments

1 - 19 of 19 Posts