Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 95 xlt xtra12 and a 96 ultra xtra nuthin'
I also have an extra ultra engine. I would like to put the ultra motor in the xlt, but it looks to me that the bulkheads are different between sleds, and the rear motor mounts are in different places. I really want an xtra12 ultra.

is there differences between 95 and 96 bulkheads?
can this be done?
has anybody done this?
[attachment=55401]

Attachments

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
there has been some done. and theres a few guys on here that have done it and im sure will help. but the x-10 suspension is a much better suspension then the x-12. my advise. sell the xtra ultra engine and pick up a used m-10 suspension for your ultra!
x-12 is just way too heavy

·
Registered
5,138 Posts
Plus the xtra-10 will take quit a pounding!!

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
The trouble with your Ultra is that it doesn't have the xtra 10 front. The 97 SP did and was a better ride. That Ultra motor will fit into the xlt fairly easy. The straps might be different in the chassis, but I believe the bolt pattern on the engine is the same. If not just drill new holes in the straps. I think the x12 has higher shock towers which might screw with how a single pipe fits. It'll be close. Triples would be a bit more difficult. The xlt airbox wont fit. Ultra one should but you'd need the oil and coolant bottles from one too (I've got those and the airbox, and the riveted tabs those all mount to)

·
Registered
52 Posts
I have the same two sleds myself. You should be fine. Sno summed it up well. When you say bulk head diffrent do you mean the frame portion where the motor rests or the plastic belly pan that surrounds the entire engine compartment? I ask because I bought my Ultra from a salvage yard and I installed a belly pan from a 90 650. It fit like a glove until I test fit the motor. The cluch touches the side of the belly ban. After investigation of the old belly pan and the one on my XLT I realized that the mid-90's tripples had a small bump out molded into the belly pan to accomodate the clutch and the older ones did not. Not to change the subject but has anyone done this and can you reccommend any "trick" things I can do to make it look good.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
drilled pto side xlt mount to match rubbers
clutchs lined up find but motor sits way too low in the frame as well as too far back, center carb touches steering stem
the guy i got the motor from had it in a 97 xlt and hes says the BULKHEAD may be different between years

·
Registered
3,213 Posts
Tripplethreat has done it....If I remember right he said it was a pain in the a$$....He bought a Ultra engine from me and put it in his 95 XLT special a couple of years back....PM him hes a nice guy

·
Registered
2,626 Posts
I have an extra 12 skid on my garage floor I need gone. I'm open to offers if your interested.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts