Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok guys, I'm picking up an old camaro, and am thinking of either jsut fixing, then reselling, or fixing, then keeping it as a summer car. but, if I DO plan on keeping it, I'm gonna want to swap the engine, it's got that little 2.7L V6 in it, and I was wondering if any of you guys have any information or link on swappin that little 6 with the 305 or the 350.

if I can do that... then I may well, and if not, then I'm just gonna get her up and running again, resell, take the profit and buy myself a bike. I NEED an R1 or R6. maybe if I do a good enough job on the camaro, I can get a smashed up bike.

OR, I could keep it and put a nice stereo in it.

they may be called snowmobiles, but hiding behind that is a cheap excuse to not grass drag.

·
Registered
64 Posts
i think u would be wasting your time putting in a engine cause then u have to change tranny...i think u would be wasting more money then its worth....i would just drive it with the little v6 then later sell that for something better....u would save on gas too...lol...just my opnion though

1992 polaris rxl 650

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
doesn't the 2.8 have a 700 R4 tranny? You don't have to get rid of that tranny for a 350 or a 305. It will hold up to the new engine. It won't last as long as a V8 tranny but it will do the job.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ya, it might be a waste of time, but I dunno if I'm keepin the car or not, I kinda jsut wanna get it road worthy again, resell, and then take that money to get a smashed up R1. that's the plan as off now, but somehow, I think that after driveing in a nice car like that, I might change my mind.

but my dad used to always want a camaro with the 305, so he kinda wants to see an 8 in it. I certainly wouldn't mind seeing a 350 in it if I"m gonna keep it, and for $300 canadian... man, it's pretty hard to go wrong, it's not like I have much tied up in it, like, month and a halfs insurance, and what I payed for the car is gone again on insurance.

allwell, should be a little fun for those winter nights when I don't have time to get out to the trails.

they may be called snowmobiles, but hiding behind that is a cheap excuse to not grass drag.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
LOL, sounds good to me man, how much will that engine run me?

will it just like, bolt down? or am I gonna be makein my own motor mounts and stuff?

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
you'll need new motor mounts I am sure. I bet conversion mounts for an S10 with the same V6 would work. Stock mounts wouldn't work I am sure. As for the engine well in american money my buddy just spent I think about $400 on a 305 for his 91 Chevy astro van which had a 4.3 V6 before. He tried to find a fuel injected 350 but it was 600+ and he couldn't find one close. If you said forget that and went to a carbed 350 you could do it for less i am sure. Carburated 350s are a dime a dozen.

·
Registered
4,322 Posts
to tell you the truth i think that motor should just bolt right in after all the the 2.8 motor was an OPTION and that car normally came with a 305 or an optioned 350. ive done 350 conversions in fiero's where only 1 mount needed to be changed.
now another qustion is manual or auto tranny? if its auto trans gonna need a new torque converter and various other odd and ends

·
Registered
8,108 Posts
front springs will need to be changed, new radiator, alot of general stuff. It's not a small project...

-Dean

·
Registered
6 Posts
You will have to change your tranny if you want to swap in a V8,The bellhousing pattern on the 2.8 is not the same.You could get a 3.8L that will bolt up to that tranny.A 4.3L has the same bolt pattern as the standard V8's.
So you are probably farther ahead to just use that engine.

·
Registered
313 Posts
As stated before the tranny will not fit, as for a 305/350/400 all with smallblock motor mounts will bolt in (the front frame rails were manufactured to accomodate a small block) Tranny would need to be a TH 350 or 400 with a long tailstock, but the original camaro crossmember will work. The rear end will hold up with no problems, and the driveshaft will work. The exhaust will not work without a lot of work (I would say get headers, and dual 2.25" or 2.5" exhaust) If the car was fuel injected and you goto a carbed motor you will have to figure out the wiring as they are not the same.....

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
going to a carb is easy just need 12 volts to a coil bingo it runs if u are going to spend ur money on a new motor get a 350 those 305 were crap they ate up cams just look how long the 350 has been used since 68 or 69 the 305 was just there to compete with fords 5.0 without out many modifications it should fit TH350 can be picked up cheap GOOD LUCK!

·
Registered
567 Posts
yeah dont get a 305 it would be a waist of money. after going from a 5.8 to a 5.0 i wish i had stayed with the 5.8

1 - 13 of 13 Posts