Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
at my cabin the other day and the lake was looking real tempting to do some skipping. The lake is probably a quarter mile across. I'll drop in at the off one of my docks and skip over to the boat landing. I want to get one more ride in before I winterize it. I got a 500 trail indy (89), you guys think she'll make it??

·
Registered
11,943 Posts
I wounldn't chance it, I don't think it is enough power to stay above the water...my buddy once sunk his sport 440 from lack of power.

·
Super Moderator
11,279 Posts
If you can get going 80 mph you shoul be able to..My indy 400 would go across water but i never tryed anything of that distance..Can you try a shorter distance just to see how it goes?

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
I used to water-skip my old (1989) Indy 500 short distances, and it would go pretty far, but i do NOT think it will make 1/4 mile!!! Don't chance it!

·
Registered
749 Posts
I have a 89 trail indy and if yours has the origional track on it i wouldn't try it. I wouldn't try it anyways cause that distance is too long. BTW , easy on the 488's guys, i have one you know.

·
Registered
4,617 Posts
I have driven my sled on short openings but I wouldn't try a quarter mile unless it is ankle deep the whole way across...

·
Registered
777 Posts
sure go for it ,and if you don.t make it,let us know how much it costs to get it out,LOL
and was it worth it
and if i was you take the 440,give you a little more incentive to make it,.Good Luck

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have skipped about 500 feet with my indy before. The thing I am worried about is the drop off the dock. Should I put a kicker at the end to make sure the nose stays up? Its about a 4 foot drop to the water. The 440 mxz is out of the question, the indy has a larger motor, it would go faster. If I dont make it with the indy, I will probably just leave it at the bottom. But I plan on making it. I have been duct taping all the holes around the cowl so the belt doesn't get wet. She'll have enough power, I have done some work on it and it goes a good 65 on hard pack, so I am thinking I could hit atleast 70 on water.

·
Registered
331 Posts
a FOUR FOOT drop to the water? Uhm, I dunno, I don't think I would even try that on a much larger sled let alone a 440....IMO!

·
Registered
4,322 Posts
1/4 mile i dunno about ive done some big gaps on my txl 340 like 1500 feet and made it without a hiccup ide say find a smaller gap and see what your sled will do. and BTW the txl had the original track on it and it is a 1980

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
it seems you've already got you mind made up... So grab a camera and let us know how it goes!

·
Super Moderator
11,279 Posts
agree^

1 - 13 of 13 Posts