Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well i finally got to use my sled, and try the clutching. seems i might have not installed the secondary clutch properly and does not want to open until real high rpm. can someone help me out, as i dont know what might have went wrong, except for not preloading it enough..
thanks in advance

·
Registered
482 Posts
You have to turn the sheaves after you install the spring, then install the bolts and tighten them down. You need to have tension. I believe its only about a quarter turn is how it should be.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Originally posted by thehawk789
[br]You have to turn the sheaves after you install the spring, then install the bolts and tighten them down. You need to have tension. I believe its only about a quarter turn is how it should be.
which bolts are you refering to? the only bolts on my series of clutch are for the belt deflection.

·
Registered
482 Posts
well if i remember correctly, in order to swap springs you have to split the 2 halves... and take out a couple of bolts in order to do so. i think my cat had 3, polaris shouldnt be much different.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
in order to split my secondary you remove one ring then twist the two halfs until the helix pops. but you havn't answered my question about why its not shifting until high RPM

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
when putting the secondary back together you need to spin it so the buttons sit on the next ramp of the helix, Kind of preloading it. When its put together you should be able to spin the sheaves apart, when you let go they will spin and snap back closed.

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
epi didnt send an instruction sheet? cheap people. I would have. but thats a different subject. lol
if you assemble the secondary correctly you can turn the inner sheave one way and it should spring back. and then you cant turn it the other way. if you can get some turn both ways than you have it assembled wrong.

but what are the rpms doing

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
well when i originally put the helix in, the two halves would spread apart. went out for a ride and seems alright. then this weekend i went out and it seemed really really boggy until the belt forced the two halves apart. i decided to change the belt and i couldn't spored the halves anymore, so im figuring i lost my preload somehow. and to answer the question about the rpms, it revs way up, to about 7000 before i can feel any amount of power.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts