Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a 2003 RX-1 and it idles erratically. It eventually comes down to idle speed and sometimes it will not come down on its own without me lowering the idle speed. It usually takes about 10-30 seconds to settle down. The cold start takes longer than expected to warm up and often I have to play with the idle setting and choke. I assume it is most likely clogged jets but it sometimes works good. I obviously have not ridden it much.I changed one of my coils as it was arching. Any advice would be greatly appreciated?

·
Registered
368 Posts
a hanging idle can be attributed to dirty pilot jets, mal-adjusted fuel screws, choke plungers sticking or even the wrong size pilot jets. could also be a synchronization issue. most likely dirty carbs. funny thing with all those cylinders its hard to pinpoint the actual carb. clean them all and re-sync.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Snowdad! I will take it to the shop and get the carbs cleaned as I cannot re-sync them. Hopefully they can take it tomorrow as I am dying to ride the tank when it is working right. Happy New Year!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi All,

I took the sled in a few days ago to get a lube, oil, filter, carbs cleaned, etc. As previously mentioned the sled had a hanging idle. I and Snowdad assumed they were dirty pilot jets! I was supposed to get it back today but was told it would take an extra hour as the carbs required a rebuild. I have cleaned and rebuilt many carbs in my day but did not tackle the RX1 carbs as I did not have the tool to sync them. I asked the mechanic or spokesperson at the Yamaha dealership if they had to get a certain part(s) for the carb such as jets, needles, etc? He said no they just required rebuilding. I thought this is odd; when I have cleaned carb(s) I take them apart and soak the body and all metal parts in a bucket with carb cleaner, then I blow the holes out with air. I am miffed as to why they said they were going to rebuild them but did not require any parts. He said after they cleaned them they could not get them in sync. I thought rebuilding was replacing parts and cleaning was removal or parts cleaning and reassembly? What is the difference? Thanks and Happy New Year!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts