Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
[blue][/blue][/font=Comic Sans MS]Just got a estimate for my sled .$1200.00 +tax cdn OUCH .Track alone $700 .I was thinking about trying to get by this year with it but I remember a sight from last year.I seen a poor guy whose track was torn off ,at least 10 miles to the nearest town waiting for a tow from his buddy. Thinking of that I think I will spend the money.

The wife said ok but she gets a dinette set :).Well guess I will be working some over time for a while LOL

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
Is that just to replace your track....do it yourself and save some labour charges.
It isn't a bad job, just takes some time if you've never done it before.

When hell freezes over, we'll ride there too.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
they also are going to replace carbides,runners ,some carburation adjustments.Also I had a hole in my coolant hose which has to be replaced.I am not mechanically knowledgeable regarding snowmobiles .I could probally change the carbides and runners but changing the track I wouldn,t have a clue as to 1)change it and 2) if I remember correctly ,dosen,t the track have to be realigned?

Like they say "If you want to play,you have to pay" Oh well it will be worth it when the snow does fly.

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
Tensioning and aligning your track is easy.
There is a specific amount and placement of where you hang a weight from the track with the rear of the sledsuspended, then you measure the distance from the track to the hyfax (rail sliders).
To algin the track, with the sled still suspeneded just run the track a few revolutions, then look at where the track clips run on the hyfaxes and make sure that they are nicely centered, if not then loosen one side of the track and try it agian, if it's worse, you went the wrong way, and need to tighten it, and loosen the other side.
This is something that should be done every year, and it's very easy.
For me working on my sled is almost as much fun as riding it.

·
Registered
614 Posts
I would change it myself, get a buddy, a couple of brown pops [ not to many ]
and go for it. While you are doing the track, you can service the rear suspension, grease and check all the bearings, idler wheels etc. . While you have the drive shaft out, you change the bearings, the one on the side where the clutches are sometimes gets missed during cheasing, it hard to see it under the clutch. Grab a cheap manual, and get to know your toy.
It is fun, just like 500fasEnuf says.

"tie wrap it wide open"

·
Registered
777 Posts
give it a shot, it,s to expensive to take it in for everything,you need help,lots of it here.put the cash you save towards the dinette,less overtime=more sledding.LOL

·
Registered
412 Posts
Hi Polarisguy.

I understand your dilema. Do you take on a job you're not familiar with and confident about or just work a Sunday and pay someone to do it?

I was in the same boat. I had my dealer install the studs on my track (a pretty simple job) because I didn't have the time or the place to work on it myself. Now I have a garage and am trying to do most of the work myself.

I have found that my confidence has really grown since doing my own mechanics. I don't worry so much about trail-side breakdowns, first because I know my sled is well maintained and second because I can probably trouble shoot better having had the sled apart. I'm no expert by any means but I'm gradually learning, and everyone started somewhere.

Where have you been getting your work done? We don't have many dealers around here, but I usually get my stuff from Royal Distributing as I am sometimes out Guelph way. Also, the snowmobile show is in Toronto next weekend (October 25-27); buy most anything tax free. I'll be picking up the studs for my daughter's new sled.

Jacqui.

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
Yeah... I'm with Jac's,
Doing your own service lets you get to know your sled, and when it breaks down 30 long miles from civilization, it's nice to have the know-how.
Kev

Nobody wants to hook up and pull your sled with their brand new Pro X or Rev.

This is my Dads sled, he doesn't mind pulling 3 or 4 sleds

/snofan/../images/users/500fasenuf/panthr.jpg

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
Pretty flat hey....welcom to the Saskatchewan prairies.

Nothin but miles of open fields.

·
Administrator
13,092 Posts
bah, go looky the pics I posted earlier today, flat here too.

Ride the Best!

·
Registered
117 Posts
Hi Archie
Wait till next weekend at the sled show. Coffey has a fairly large booth set up and they carry brand new take off's. These are tracks that the guys take off out west to put on the paddle tracks. Coffey buys them up and sells them fairly reasonably. I paid $360 Cdn. (no tax) last year for mine I think. I just studded it last week and will be installing it this weekend. If you want you can stop by and see if that's something you want to tackle yourself. It's fairly simple but seems intimidating untill you try something like this yourself.
If you're interested, send me a private message with your phone number and I'll call you to give you directions.

P.S.
I'm booking the room this weekend for your daughters' driver training course.

Happy Trails.
Jeff

RIDE SAFE - RIDE SOBER

1 - 13 of 13 Posts