Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
do not run ethanol gas in your sleds if you can help it. Premium non oxgenated - ethanol burns hotter and we all know heat kills!

·
Registered
123 Posts
yeah i agree i dont think it would work well and your motor woulndt last as long

·
Registered
15,722 Posts
Most people run up to 10%. Know it or not.

·
Registered
193 Posts
yeah, a lot of gas has it and you wouldn't even know it....last i heard ethanol seems to attract moisture and makes your fuel slightly hygroscopic...but not much.

·
Registered
139 Posts
You would never have to worry about fuel freezing. ???

·
Registered
15,722 Posts
Originally posted by Blackx
[br]So why do guys run alcohol in to get rid of the ice??
It is a different form of alcholol. isoproponol.

·
Registered
291 Posts
ethanol actually burns COOLER than regular gas...it has the some of the charecteristics as methanol...the reason everyone assumes it burns hotter is because if they run it they are not jetted for it causing a lean condition...my father wrote an artical in the feb 2007 addition of mopar action titled "booze power" where it talks about changing a carb over to run straight E-85...if you have the patience and know how to modify the carbs on a sled along with a LM-1 meter you could run e-85 in your sled...you could run higher compression and more timing while making 5-8% more power and running slightly cooler at the same time...

·
Registered
15,722 Posts
Isn't it also true that you need to run more lube as it it dryer than a fuel blend?

·
Registered
169 Posts
because if they run it they are not jetted for it causing a lean condition...
I know my father-in-law had to go up a lot of sizes in his jetting when he converted his drag car from gas to methanol. Different application but seems to jive with what you are saying.

trev

·
Registered
15,722 Posts
^^^^^^How high was the egt temps?

·
Registered
291 Posts
Originally posted by CATSRULE06
[br]I run e-85 and works great
did you check your plug color? i'd highly recomend you not run it unless you have your air fuel mixture set correctly for it...to switch over from regular gas to e-85 you start but jetting ALL your jets up 35%(may have to jet up more than that depends on your air fuel ratio) this includes your idle circuts low end mid and top end circuts...if you are running stock jetting you are running LEAN and a burndown is in your future...just my .02 cents

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
I run both ,instead of rejetting i just fill er up and add 8-12 ounces of oil to the gas tank,and if you are going to store it ,better double dose it with stabil

·
Registered
15,722 Posts
^^^^So your just adding more oil which in fact is not helping at all.

·
Registered
348 Posts
I"ve read not to use E-85 in boat motors because the seals and gaskets dry out. Auto's that can take it have made changes to counter this. Probably not a good thing to put in your sled.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts