Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's the dilema, in upstate NY, some pumps say 10% ethanol. I only run 93 in the sled, but does the higher octane fuels (89 or 93)or only 87 contain the 10% ethanol. I've researched citgo and all grades seem to contain ethanol to some degree. Anyone out there working for an oil/gas company could clarify or any input from anyone would help. Most new injected sleds have an ethanol fuel resistor option, but can only be "plugged in" for better performance if you know you are running non-oxygenated fuel, at least on a 10 600 CFI

·
Registered
11,943 Posts
Your sled is designed to run on fuel mixtures of up to 10-15% ethanol. ALL gas sold in Minnesota contains at least 10% ethanol, the exception being special circumstances where you can get non-ethanol fuel for classic cars, etc...but very difficult to find. Soon we are going to have 15% and 20% mixtures which will become the norm.

You will not gain a whole lot as far as power is concerned by running ethanol free fuel - certainly no amount of power worth fussing over. I'd just run what you can and not worry about paying a premium price for something which will gain you nothing.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
erick said:
Your sled is designed to run on fuel mixtures of up to 10-15% ethanol. ALL gas sold in Minnesota contains at least 10% ethanol, the exception being special circumstances where you can get non-ethanol fuel for classic cars, etc...but very difficult to find. Soon we are going to have 15% and 20% mixtures which will become the norm.

You will not gain a whole lot as far as power is concerned by running ethanol free fuel - certainly no amount of power worth fussing over. I'd just run what you can and not worry about paying a premium price for something which will gain you nothing.
Thanks for the info. I gues my worry wasn't so much performance as is engine damage. I have heard guys blowing up CFI's up in Tug Hill, NY because of the oxygenated issue and not using a fuel enzyme like Startron. I gues i will leave it "uplugged" for safety, thanks again> Another thing do you run fuel stabilizer in every tank to address the ethanol or just when storing

·
Registered
761 Posts
erick said:
Your sled is designed to run on fuel mixtures of up to 10-15% ethanol. ALL gas sold in Minnesota contains at least 10% ethanol, the exception being special circumstances where you can get non-ethanol fuel for classic cars, etc...but very difficult to find. Soon we are going to have 15% and 20% mixtures which will become the norm.[/color=red]

and what will that do to our engines? 10% is the upper limit of where 2 cycle likes to live, above that will cause engine damage and failure....

·
Registered
4,541 Posts
Yes, but the government doesn't care about our snowmobiles, they care about their pocketbooks and thats it!

·
Registered
11,943 Posts
fillman1 said:
Another thing do you run fuel stabilizer in every tank to address the ethanol or just when storing
I don't use any sort of fuel stabilizer or additives. I also don't add anything when storing my sled. I've done it this way for years and years, and my Father the same before me, and have never run into issues. I generally start my sleds a few times in the summer but that's about it.

RAMROD said:
and what will that do to our engines? 10% is the upper limit of where 2 cycle likes to live, above that will cause engine damage and failure....
Obviously, engineers will have to make changes to the engines to compensate for these increases as the laws and regulations change. Not impossible...or really all that unreasonable.

·
Registered
4,541 Posts
Thats all good for the new sleds from now on, but what about the old ones from now back, thats where the trouble is going to be.

·
Registered
137 Posts
To answer your original question, in Ontario 93 Octane does NOT contain ethanol. Next time your at a gas station read the pump.

·
Registered
761 Posts
erick said:
RAMROD said:
Obviously, engineers will have to make changes to the engines to compensate for these increases as the laws and regulations change. Not impossible...or really all that unreasonable.

dtmmil said:
Thats all good for the new sleds from now on, but what about the old ones from now back, thats where the trouble is going to be.
Thats exactly what I was trying to say...thanks "dtmmil"

MadMatt900 said:
To answer your original question, in Ontario 93 Octane does NOT contain ethanol. Next time your at a gas station read the pump.
I would like to know if its that way at EVERY point of purchace...

·
Registered
4,541 Posts
From what I understand they can have up to 10% in it and not have to label it, but like Erick said, I do believe all of MN gas has 10% in it unless otherwise marked, I would assume its probably all over like that also. So even if its not marked it could very well have up to 10% in it.

·
Registered
192 Posts
i know 93 does have the ethanol in it in some places here in NY. not sure if its all of them or not. while riding in tughill we went to fill up at that small gas station/diner next to osceola outpost/osceola hotel and there was 1 grade of fuel, 93, and it said on the pump contains up to 10% ethanol..not sure if its the same everywhere tho..

·
Registered
9,987 Posts
Most chains of stations have ethanol in the fuel now in NYS... The only exception that I'm aware of it the "kwik fill" chain which is in the process of switching over now.

As mentioned above, look for a sticker on the pump.

·
Registered
4,541 Posts
Ugly_old_Poo_kid said:
Most chains of stations have ethanol in the fuel now in NYS... The only exception that I'm aware of it the "kwik fill" chain which is in the process of switching over now.

As mentioned above, look for a sticker on the pump.
If you are really concerned though you may want to check your area, because as stated, most places don't need to mark it unless there is a certain percentage in it.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Around here all of the Kwik Trips have 10% in everything, BP has 10% in the 87 and 89, but the 93 is straight gas. I've noticed on my sled when I had the 87 in it it would backfire through the exhaust when it went from around 2-3k rpm to idle. As soon as the 93 went in it hasn't done that since. There is a difference but it depends on how much you care to spend.

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
In NY all grades contain 10% ethanol now.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts