Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well i finally got around to swapping out my skid for an ETT, found a skid off an 02 zr 800 for 350 bucks, had around 800 miles on it, not a bad deal, heres a pic of it, now all i've got left before the winter is an arcticfx retro graphics kit, some green plastic keys and a new snow flap, if anyone has any green ski's let me know
[attachment=48254]
if anyones interested in doing a swap, go to arctichat.com, they'res a set of instructions and pictures that made the project go real easy

·
Registered
49 Posts
Now that you have the new skid in (which looks great), you need to look into modding the front suspension to get the travel up front to match, as well as widening the stance by 5". Here are some before and after pics of when I did my front end mod:

Before

After:

Another after (on a dolly and with the steering post modded and bars raised):

The front now has 13" of travel and a 45" stance center to cneter.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i like that front end, do you happen to have a list of all the parts that i'd need?, is that an aws5 suspension?, looks like a good project

·
Registered
49 Posts
Originally posted by mycat8urskidoo
[br]i like that front end, do you happen to have a list of all the parts that i'd need?, is that an aws5 suspension?, looks like a good project
The basic list goes like this:

The A-arms, tie rods, and shocks are from a 43" stance AWS 5 sled. I think that is '01 and later ZR's & ZRT's. The shocks are also from that year or later, 18" eye to eye. You have to make up spacers for the A-arms since they are narrower than the AWS 4 ones. You also need a swaybar that is 2.5" longer than stock. You need aluminum AWS 4 spindles, and you have to notch them out to clear the cross brace on the lower A-arm and notch the bottom for shock clearance. Once all that is done, it is helpful in eliminating bump steer to raise the steering rack in the bulkhead. Doing that will also eliminate alot of the steering play in the stock setup. I have a link to a ton of info. on arcticchat about the mod. When I find it I'll put it up.

Here are links for the 2 mods:

Front end mod:
http://www.arcticchat.com/forums/index.php?act=ST&f=125&t=9858

ETT skid swap:
http://www.arcticchat.com/forums/index.php?act=ST&f=49&t=32042

·
Registered
49 Posts
Originally posted by arcticcatmatt
[br]how did I miss this?

Wonder if I should do this to my 97.. hmmm
You won't regret modding the front suspension. It makes the sled as good or better in the rough stuff as the newer sleds. It will take more to get through the tight, twisty trails due to the weight, but I don't think that is a big deal. There is also a way to move the steering post forward that will move the bars up about 2" and foreward around 3" without any riser. I did this to mine and since adding a 3.5" Ole's riser, I can now stand and ride comfortably, and I'm 6'3".

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.