Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi i have a 92 exciter 570 it was working poerfectly but i looked at my belt and it was so britle it cracked when i bend it so i had a new kimpex belt here so i put it on and went for a ride whenever i hit powder or any snow touched the belt instant slip well i think its slipping casue the sled just revs and barely moves and i can smell hot belt. so i put the old crunchy belt back on worked great. so i talked to someone they said maybe the secondary isnt set up right take out a shim and see if it grabs better so i did and nothing so i just road all season on the bad belt. so now its winter again so i bought a new belt from yamaha and same thing now. hit snow just rev barely moves. my primary spins and the belt will spin but the slep just creeps forward. any ideas if im on the road it works perfectly. would it be my secondary maybe. and what should i look for.

·
Registered
509 Posts
How about Trying a new Belt

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
xcrtweaker123 said:
Exciterfan44 said:
How about Trying a new Belt
Did you not read the whole post?! Check your primary for oil or a grease feeling wipe down the walls of your primary with break cleaner
I'd say try a new belt, and if that doesn't work, try a new clutch.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
are you sure they are the right size belts?
is it possible that the belt that was on there that worked was a different size?

·
Registered
62 Posts
dredlock89 said:
hi i have a 92 exciter 570 it was working poerfectly but i looked at my belt and it was so britle it cracked when i bend it so i had a new kimpex belt here so i put it on and went for a ride whenever i hit powder or any snow touched the belt instant slip well i think its slipping casue the sled just revs and barely moves and i can smell hot belt. so i put the old crunchy belt back on worked great. so i talked to someone they said maybe the secondary isnt set up right take out a shim and see if it grabs better so i did and nothing so i just road all season on the bad belt. so now its winter again so i bought a new belt from yamaha and same thing now. hit snow just rev barely moves. my primary spins and the belt will spin but the slep just creeps forward. any ideas if im on the road it works perfectly. would it be my secondary maybe. and what should i look for.
You know, I have a 97 600 Venture and last year when I put a new belt on it I experienced the very same thing. Old Yamaha worn belt it would engage proper at about 4k rpms. Brand new belt from Yamaha and it would engage at almost a 1k rpm's higher and I was detecting slipping. I've been doing some reading up on stuff and I plan on removing the primary clutch sheaves and cleaning it up with 180 grit and cleaning the heck out of and with brake part's cleaner. If that doesn't do it I will look at the adjustment of the secondary and finally I plan to see about rebuilding the clutch if I have to. I just haven't gotten around to it but I will soon over the holiday weekend because our season here in NM is usually good starting at the beginning of the New Year. I'll post back inform of my findings. Thanks....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts