Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got an 88 exciter L/C. I tore suspension assembly out to replace some parts that were a little worn, anyway, I don't think I did it right. I ended up leaving the track under the sled and pulling the carriage (or whatever it's called)out.
Anyway, it was a pain getting it back in. Everything looks right but I can bottom it out just by pressing down on it with my hand.
So what the heck did I do wrong? How do I fix it or do this right? There's got to be an easier way to replacing the track and suspension.

·
Registered
119 Posts
The suspension on my 93 Exciter SX would unbolt and come out easily (once the track tension was released). But without seeing your work it's hard to say how or what is wrong. I have a shop service manual for the Exciter which may help you. Note: it's for the 93 model.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmmmm....I'm very new to this. I couldn't find out how to disconnect the front drive, whatever you call it. The shaft that has the drive gears one it. The rest is easy to unbolt.
Since I couldn't figure the front shaft out the track was stuck on the sled so I just unbolted the rear two shafts that go through the tunnel and pulled the subassembly out of the track, after I replaced the parts I put it back in just how I found it. I'm thinking that maybe the rear springs have to wrap around one more time but it seems almost impossible to do.
What's the trick to getting the front shaft out?
Maybe I'll remove the whole assembly and go from there.

·
Registered
3,675 Posts
You dont need to remove the drive shaft to work on the rear suspension. It does sound like your springs arent on right.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Okay, so my springs are in the right location and connected properly but they're just not supporting any weight, I don't even have to sit on it to bottom it out, so the only thing I can think of is that the springs have to wrap around one full time more, but I don't see how that's possible to do. I can see that I'm going to have to pull the assembly out to wrap the spring around otherwise it'll hit the tunnel when I try to wrap it.
So how do I remove the driveshaft so I can pull it out right this time?
I need to go get a manual.

·
Registered
3,675 Posts
You pulled it out correctly the first time. I wish i knew more about your suspension, maybe you put the springs on the wrong side....

·
Registered
49 Posts
just curious as to what was worn on it in the first place, what did you replace. I have a 89 exciter and my suspension held up good but i was thinking of putting some new shocks on it.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I just replaced the plastic blocks that hold the springs, they were worn through to the bolt underneath. I also replaces a few aluminum rods inside some of the suspension arms.
Right now we're tinkering with wrapping the springs once more, (this is the rear end, the font section of the track seems fine). It seems near impossible to wrap them all the way around again.
ViperSJ, does your manual say anything about installing the rear spring setup. This has really got me confused here. I don't think the springs could be so fatigued that they would be this soft.

·
Registered
553 Posts
There must be a way to tighten the springs up. Im not sure on this suspention either. Do the spring ends sit on top or on the bottom of the block you replaced? Where the springs are coiled, is there a short end coming off that is bent? If so most sleds have a eye bolt that this end hooks into and then by tightening the nut on the eye bolt it tightens your spring up. Is any of this making sense on that sled? Must be some how to adjust the tension.

TXC

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah, that makes sense, mine uses a kind of poly block that acts like a cam, you turn it to tighten or loosen the spring, I had it on the tightest setting. The blocks I replaced, I replaced with the newer model of exciter, they're a bit larger and should make the suspension even tighter, but it's still wayyyyyy soft. I've tried to rotate the springs around and there's no way they're going to do that, I only get a quarter way around even with a cheater pipe on it. I set the sled on it's side and tried to pry it around and it's just not going. I've checked the suspension setup a ton of times and can't find anything wrong. I think I must just have severely fatigued springs. The reason I tore the suspension apart was because when I jumped on the sled it would go down but not come up so I'm not for sure if the springs were working right in the first place.

·
Registered
553 Posts
I always have been told that when the rear wont come up on its own then the springs are bad. And when it bottoms out while redding then the shock is bad.
TXC

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
hmmmm....that makes sense, so maybe both are bad, the shock was dampening but not a whole lot. I might as well replace it and see what happens.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts