Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just took the sled out for a rip today around the ranch and the canister thats conected to the pipe turned red hot. Now the sled only has 400 miles on it so its not rust inside the canister. When I took it off and shook it there was nothing inside it moving. Could it be something inside the can that has bent over due to a back fire and its blocking the flow? The sled runs great so...don't know what this could be...any one know?

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
even though it only has 400 miles it is 5 or 6 years old (based on your title) and that much sitting around probably could cause some kind of an obstruction. what colour are your plugs. Maybe its running very lean due to plugged up carbs also from sitting. 400 miles is only 3 or 4 tank fulls of gas in all those years.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Dealer says it is caused by me starting the sled every month during the summer and not really warming it up, Causing fuel and oil residue build up in the silencer, which catches fire in side. Its runs really good so thats why they rule out a blockage.
I will have to take her out for another rip tonight and see whats what. -29C though....could be coool ride!! Thanks for the replies people!

G

·
0 Posts
I once had a mouse crawl up and build a nest in the canister but it didn't cause it to start glowing!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yup....took her out for a very cool ride (-30C), and all seems ok, so I guess the dealer was on to something!
CHEERS!

·
Registered
975 Posts
Don't know.......buddy of mine just had the same problem on the weekend on his 98 XC700. The can was glowing and had flames coming out.Just had it in for service and they didn't notice anything and his ran great as well.Took his can off and shook it and nothing rattled. Got fed up and couldn't wait for a new one so he tore his apart.....Baffle cane loose and was wedged in there not vibrating but causing a blockage and making it glow. Welded it back to gether(He's a welder) and everything's A-okay. Goodluck. P.S. His plugs were fine as well because that's what I thought was fuel loading up in the exhaust. Keep us posted. Mark

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You know I really think your onto something because I suspected the same dam thing. Because my sled back fires pretty hard when I first start it and I thought that maybe that could have damaged something in the can causing a blockage. I think the ride the other night was too dam cold to get a conclusion on this. I think I will pick up a after market unit anyway. It just seems to me that If there was oil residue in the can that it would have spit out some when I first warmed it up.
Thanks for the insight!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just tried the rumble pack.....the sound is really impressive! Didn't notice any power difference but the sound! Ya baby!

·
Registered
128 Posts
well ill be dammed im running a 99 700 rmk doing the same thing plugs and piston wash are good but this can wants to melt the side of my sled. to top it off this is its second can (first can done the same thing but was replaced under waranty) one funny thing about this is yes it backfires on cold startup (day 1 from new) also when this can starts turning into a red underhood light i have stopped and checked plugs tan, piston wash 1 half inch. run it up again till red can and then tried running with choke out. can imediately cools down. all of this running was done at about 50mph. sure has me wondering. any way i could get in touch with any body with a cure that you know of?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
well since i installed then new can, my sled starts much better, dosen't back fire, and the can does not overheat. so i don't know but i will be cutting my old can apart this spring to have a look.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts